Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jce

Butt Grip Idea's

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Anyone got any unusual butt ideas?

This is one I made, I was given the idea from a freind at work who got me into rod building and long distance casting.

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

This is thin nylon rope epoxied to the bottom of the rod to give greater grip when casting. Handy with dirty hands quickly cleaned on my jeans wink.gif

Once did split grip with bicycle handlebar grips non slip no noticable weight gain, still good after 15 plus years.One advantage is less wear on waders between legs and are cool looking.

Try using yarn with a heavy coat of flex coat over it has to be a synthetic type.I have done this on some cold weather cod jigging set ups with great results.Try it on a scrap piece of blank first you may not like it.

Here are some pictures of different grips that we use here in Hawaii. All of these are used on our Ulua rods in split grip fashion.

This is butt chord with a woven chain overwrap.

This is butt chord with a single chord overwrap.

This is a textured grip made of yarn.

Here are a couple more grips.

This is butt chord with with a metallic gold thread insert.

This is a texture rubber tape. Both ends are wrapped with tommy tape. However you could probably use shrink tubing.  

Anyone got any unusual butt ideas?

This is one I made, I was given the idea from a freind at work who got me into rod building and long distance casting.

Image2.jpg

Image1.jpg

This is thin nylon rope epoxied to the bottom of the rod to give greater grip when casting. Handy with dirty hands quickly cleaned on my jeans wink.gif

I like that . Very clean and functional . I love chord especially on surf rods . But I've only done full butt wraps . Working on 1 now.

Here are some pictures of different grips that we use here in Hawaii. All of these are used on our Ulua rods in split grip fashion.

This is butt chord with a woven chain overwrap.

This is butt chord with a single chord overwrap.

This is a textured grip made of yarn.

I really like the first 2 but hard to tell is there some type of finish on those ?

What kind of cord did you use in those handles, Saxon? The white stuff looks like mason line, but the black stuff I'm not sure about. I like the way those grips look.

Thanks, man! I'm going to have to try this.

I have a question, though: do you leave this stuff unfinished? Or do you put some kind of finish over it?

one more10001000

Belmo, I coated them with clear polyurethane brush on, ace hardware brand. The silver changed to a straw color, not too good. Next time going to try a clear spray on of some kind.