Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John E

I NeedEel/Jig Rod Suggestions

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My next project looks like it will be a conventional stick to throw eels and jigs with braided line. I would prefer an 11-footer and need some suggestions. I have an old e-glass blank with a soft tip that looks like a nice fit but not set on it. I'm not locked into a glass blank. Just wondering what you guys use.

John E

Gadwall,

Can the 1L handle up to 3 oz. without a problem? I've got a 1M wrapped spinning and love it. I think the 1M is rated up to 12 oz. but that's a stretch. I would just like something a little softer in the tip.

John

John,

The blank is rated 2-6 and I have thrown everything from 1 oz Bombers to 6 and clam.

I don't have a ton of experience, but I swam some eels with it about a month ago and I think it was just about perfect smile.gif. I think a little stiffer tip might be closer to ideal for fishing heavier jigs but then you compromise smooth eel tossing (IMHO). I use 50lb Whiplash and think I feel everything with both jig and eel.

Jim

Gadwall,

Thanks for the info. I'll definately give it some consideration. Especially since the action should similar to the 1M with a lighter tip section.

John

At 11 feet , the Lami XRA 1321 would be good. A Loomis 1266/2 would be good at 10.5 feet as would an AllStar 1265/2. At 10 feet , a lami 1204 would be good almost to 3 OZ (excellent for the eels) . Also good at ten feet would be an Allstar 1208. Lots of choices. All can be built spinner or conventional. All would be fine for braid if you adjust and play your drag correctly.

Salt,

How big are your eels? I can throw a 3oz BT with my 1321, but when eelin', I feel better with a 1205. What's a decent sized eel weigh? I'm guessin 4-5 oz.

Typically decent sized eels are 2 to 3 OZ. I think its typically 6 to 8 eels per pound. Of course there are shoestrings and annacondas too but typically a good eel just before it gets a cobra head is 3 OZ orless.