Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameson

Allstar 1088 (converted spinner)

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Mr G.,

I have recently stripped my LDFS90M breakaway of all hardware. Boy was that reelseat a pain, and I had to be ultra careful. From my research it shows that this is the BGSW1088 AllStar Blank. Rated 1-3oz, but as many say it is stiffer than that, which is the reason I want to go conventional.

I want to wrap it conventional for jetty use on LI, eels/jigs/wood basically. Which guides would you suggest (not SIC I can't afford it, I am a student) and what size SIC tip? You say the butt guide should be 28" or so from the center of reelseat correct? Could you give me a rough estimate on how to initially (before stress distribution) place the remaining guides.

I am only writing this because I have seen you recommend 8 or 9 guides + tip for a 9' stick, and others telling me 5 and a tip is good. With the quality of your work and your reputation, guess who I am checking with before I wrap. Thanks for the time Mr. G.

JC

P.S. Thanks so much for all the gaff stuff you sent me. It came out well. I think I am gonna build another one the same way but with a single hook. It only cost me $20.45 to build, and I still have some epoxy left over.

JC,

Glad the gaff worked out well.

The guides I would recommend for a 1088 conventional are the Fuji BHNLG hardaloys in the following sizes:

20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10 and an SIC UST tip with a #10 ring.

For spacing place the #20 stripper 28 inches from the center of the reelseat. For the #10 guide 5 inches from the tip top measured from ring to ring. Space the remaining guides in 1/2-3/4 inch increasing intervals as follows: 5, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.25, 8, 8.75.

Note that these are all approximate, you will need to do a stress distribution test and slightly adjust the spacing.

Good luck,

Al

Thanks much Mr G., one more question.

The gosh-awful Breakaway logo, it seems to be under an 1/8th of an inch or more of finish. How would I go about taking this off? For the guides I gently heated them up with a LOW clean burning flame, would this work for that area? And I am guessing I would sand down the logo, then wrap over it? What aobut wrapping the blank up all the way to a few inches from the stripper, would this increase the backbone/hoop strength? Just asking becuase I have seen a few people tossing conventional and the butt section (above the foregrip) is wrapped this way. Thanks for all the help you have given me.

JC

JC,

I have seen people wrap the butt like that. If you do then use size A thread.

Warming the finish will soften it and you can carefully scrap or sand it off.

Al

Al