Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rooster

Marking pens for use on a blank...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey Al, I have a rod that I purchased from a friend that was a given to him as a gift. The rod has a small inscription on the finish just above the butt section made with some sort of white marking pen. I have noticed that some custom rod builders will also write on the blanks the specs and who the rod was built by, with what appears to be a similar marker.

Are you familiar with this??? Is there a particular type of pen that is use for this. I am thinking about putting some identifying marks, maybe my name or signature, on my rods for identification. I had some equipment stolen from my truck last year and even though this won't keep the rods from being taken it may help with possible return if they are ever found.

Thanks for your help,

Rui

Rooster,

Clemens sells both metallic gold and silver marking pens for inscribing on rods. Also check out the Rapidograph or Kohinoor fine tipped pens at a good artist supply store.

Al

You should have seen the one that got away.biggrin.gif

Isn't that always the story, I had her boat side, she possed nice for the first picture and when I went to grab her she shook a 9/0 hook. Nice fat fish around 25#, I'll have to see how the film comes out.wink.gif We'll all be getting them locally in no time.biggrin.gifwink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Yikes, Al you didn't warn me about the sticker shock. Picked one of those Rapidograph pens up last night and cwm24.gif man are they expensive. Oh well if it helps with the possible return of equipment or at least gives me a little piece of mind it will have been worth it.

Thanks again,

Rui

Rooster,

I apologize for the sticker shock. I guess the cost per rod for you is slightly different than for me.

If you can return it, please do so. Here is another, and cheaper, suggestion.

Go into Staples and get yourself a thin point gold or white ink pen. They are inexpensive. Take a piece of 3M transparent magic mending tape and write your inscription on the tape. Taper the ends of the tape and apply to the blank. Cover with two thin coats of color sealant and two thin coats of finish.

Al

Hey Al, I didn't mean to scare you with my scare smile.gif. If I had thought they were "too" expensive I wouldn't have purchased one. After testing it last night I am actually thinking of picking up a second in a slightly wider width. Just while testing and reading the instructions I thought of a few other uses where I will get more use out of it.

BTW... thanks for the additional tip on the magic tape. My only other concern was how to neatly print onto the blank and the tape will certainly give me more than one shot to get the print legible smile.gif before applying it to the blank.

Rui