Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oznavad

Calstar Guide Spacing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey Al,

I'm ready to test cast the Calstar GF700L that I'm building. I'm building it a a spinning rod with a BSVLG 40 as the butt guide. What is a good starting distance from the reel? Is 6 guides enough or should I go with 7?

Thank, Phil

[This message has been edited by Oznavad (edited 03-04-2001).]

Phil,

That depends on the reel and line you plan to use. Try 28-30 inches and test cast it. Adjust the guide position until you have eliminated any line slap.

Al

AL,

Can't seem to lose the slap. I'm using BSVLG 40,30,25,20,16,12, and 12 tip. Should I change the 40 to a 40HH? Would I then remove the standard 40? Or can I use single foots?

Phil

Oz - what reel, and what type of line and pound test are you using? I think if you move the guide closer to the reel it should eliminate slap.

Also, just where and when are you getting slap? On the cast or on the retrieval? SOunds dumb, I know, but the spinning rod I built had no problems on the cast, but slapped the rod on the retrieve, only when test casting. I think because I test casted in a schoolyard, and there was no tension on the line on the retrieval: the sinker would bounce and throw slack into the line, thus allowing it to slap the blank.

Billy

I was testing with a Baitrunner3500 with 20lb Power Pro.The slap was different depending on where the guide was. If I went too far it appeared to go around the blank. If I moved the guide too close, I got a ping from the spool from a serious choking, I believe.

http://www.rodguild.com/bbs/read.php?f=1&i=2481&t=2481

Here is a link to another board, with an active topic. This guy is doing the same thing as you. 30lb Spinning rod, and a Baitrunner 6500.

If the line slaps the blank when the guide is too far, and chokes when too close, there must be a middle ground. If you haven't already, try moving the guide in smaller increments.

BTW: where are you test casting, it's cold out there. I froze my @$$ off on Sunday morning test casting for only about 10 minutes.