Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Some assembly required

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Tomorrow I get to open the cryptic tube in the corner and start on my Christmas present! I will probably post short questions along and along, and my first is this. I've used the search engine and gotten some good info, but I'm confused about applying cork grip tape. The blank is a Breakaway 1266 with a somewhat mat finish. Do I have to rough up the blank before applying tape (reel seat too for that matter), and do I need any kind of adhesive other than what's on the back of the tape? I plan to do the two layer thing, second in the opposite rotation from the first. Do I need adhesive between the two layers other than what's already on the tape? We'll see who gets up first in the morning - the kids or me!

what i meant to ask is basicly the same thing. good to read any questions you may be confronted with.

good luck

rod wrapper wanabe, rob-s

[This message has been edited by rob-s (edited 12-24-2002).]

This works for me:

Swab the real seat with denatured alcohol to remove any residual grease or release agent, lightly "scuff" with 150 or 220 paper.

For the grip, the cork tape should adhere well without any extra glue or prep.

Your never forget your first wink.gif

Wipe the whole bkank down with alchohol to clean before you do anything. the cork tape will stick fine. the 1266 has a resonably thick but so you should try it after one layer to see if you like it. twolayers is fine if you want it thicker and no extra glue is neeed for either layer.

Santa's been good this year! Last year my wife came up with the idea to ask everybody for a "joint" Christmas gift. Some of you know where this took us - we got two chairs recovered for the den. Don't get me wrong, I sit in them and enjoy them, but I'm more jacked up about my new project. Thanks for the guidance on the grip thing. One last question on the butt cap - do you just glue it over the cork + electrical tape + quick grip? Doesn't have to be directly on the blank does it? I'll probably have another question after I finish the first 36" on the but of the rod.

It's best if the butt cap does snug nicely over top of the cork tape. Coat the inside of the cap with a film of five-minute epoxy and it'll do a fine job of keeping the tape well secured.

You dont really need epoxy to keep a properly sized rubber cap on, the cap really grabs the cork tape. If yer chicken, you can use a wrap of double sided (carpet or masking)tape on the rod, "activate" the adhesive with denatured alcohol or paint thinner and slip the cap on.

gad

Actually a film of epoxy applied to the inside of the cap serves as much as a bit of a lubricant for slipping on a properly snug cap as it does also serve to tack the whole butt end togther when it kicks smile.gif

If you install two layers of tape. Make sure the second layer is adhered in the opposite direction as the first. I find this technique to work well. Scuff the blank where the tape will be installed and then clean with alcohol. How are you planning to finish between the reel seat and the tape?

Good Luck.

Rockin

My plan is to use shrink tubing (quick grip) to secure the ends of the cork on the but, tip side of foregrip and on either side of reel seat. I contemplated thread but don't feel that bold. I hope to actually get started tonight. I hit a 24 hour detour assembling a Playmobile pirate ship. By comparison, the rod should be a breeze!

You can add some wraps of metallic thread on top of the shrink wrap and give it a coat finish.

IMHO, it's an easy, no-risk, low frustration way to accent the custom rod.

gad