Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
THEKID

Boat Rod Recommendations -- check out the specs and please opine.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

My pal's Dad just got a boat (17' KeyWest) up in Mass (Merrimac/Plum Island). Pal is looking to buy him a new spinning stick for plugging and such. As you know, the mouth of the Merrimac sees some rather swift current.

He's looking for an all-around great boat rod (Blank/Components) that I can build for him. Nothing like a custom!

Any ideas?

I'm thinking the Calstar 700XL. Sound okay? Please opine, as I am not very familiar with the boat rod blanks....

Thanks,

------------------

THE KID [a.k.a. "BLACKBALL"]

Tom,

I have all the goodies in the house. Let's talk and noodle something out. Both blanks mentioned are excellent and I have the Rainshadow as well.

Al

Kid, I think that we live in the same general area. If you want to demo a 700XL, I have a factory conventional laying around that you are welcome to borrow for a weekend. Why not give it a try before you wrap it? They are not too common in the stores around here....

Al,

I have a 9' Sabre 1088 matched to an ABU 6500 mag that I intended to toss eels with - now I'm thinking of converting/shortening it for party boat bluefishing instead of buying a new boat rod.

Would you agree with this move and if so how much would you take off the top (18")?

thanks in advance,

JimD