Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
corbina

Boat rod and reel Survey

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Boat rod and Reel survey:

As a general rule what would most of you consider the best multi-purpose boat rod length for 15-25#, and 30-60# class rods?

Understanding that shorter rods are more friendly for cranking in the heavy ones but that some length helps guide the line around the boat as some fish try to wrap your boat just because they can.

What are your favorite 30# and 50# deep water reels to place with these rods?

Thanks

What kind of fishing makes a difference as well.

For Inshore bottom fishing, I prefer a 7 1/2 foot rod. (Blackfishing)

FOr jigging Bluefish and Bass, 7 feet is what I like, too much longer and it gets in teh way with people walking fish, or ytou walking fish.

Codfish jigging - common length is 8-8 1/2.

Thanks B40

I was thinking 6'6" to 7' so based on your background the choice would go to the 7ft. Any thoughts on reels for 30-50#'s, some off-shore? I was looking for one do-it-all reel, to include tog. I have 525's for surf, this would just be a heavy boat work reel.

The 525 will work for Tog, but IMO the 6:1 gear ratio will make it hard to crank fish up (with this specific reel). If that is what you have, then use it, it will work good enough. There are plenty of reels, ranging from Abu 6500's, to Newell 338's which are used for Blackfishing.

I don't Offshore fish so I cannot opine on that. BUT - Baitfishing you could go with a TLD30LRS. Jigging - Trinidad 40 or Saltiga 40 or 30T. I don't know much else.

What exactly are you looking for? One rod & reel to do all Inshore and Offshore fishing?

B40

I was looking at the Penn 345GTI (3.25-1 ratio), 15LD (3.8-1)it's rated 600yd of 30#, not sure how much 50# would fit but it should be plenty?

The 555GS ratio is also too high. Since the 113H worked so well for me at 3.25 I also like the 114H since I want just a little more # capability and the NO Levelwind make it nice and simple, it is a little heavy for a basic reel. Since I have not used levelwinds I can't help thinking if a Levelwind would be a help or just a pain.

I oersonally like 8 feet for the lower class , especially for stripers but 7 is nice too if you are doing tog and or fluke and I like 6 1/2 feet for the heavier class.

Saltheart,

8ft rods are next.

I have a few 8ft 15-25 blanks and guides for later. Last night I placed the lower wrap and handle on my new 40# 6'8", boat rod. I need to tape the guides in spiral to see if It feels or works for me, I have not used a spiral rod. Do spiral rods present a problem (because of the off-set for the thumb to guide the line on non-levelwind rods?

What species are you planning to fish for?

The reason I ask so many questions - unlike the West Coast, where they match # test of the line to rods & reels designed for that same line class - over here we use the heavy line on lighter reels.

If you want a blackfishing rod & reel combo for Party boat fishing, the 345GTI is too heavy, as is the 15KG & 114 (by FAR). If you are planning on using 40# line, you CAN put it on a lighter reel and just button down the drag. Most guys have switched to Braided line, from 30-80# test, and stick it on 20# reels. Of course, those 20# reels are mounted on 40 & 50# rods, but that's just how it is.

That is for Inshore fishing, Offshore everything is matched up. THe longest rod I would use for Offshore jigging is 7 feet, although I know one guy who routinely uses an 8' rods for jigging - he uses the rail to reel the fish in though.

If you need to underhand cast, or if the boat is high off the water, of if you need to jig up and down, go longer. If not, go shorter. 7'-7'6" is standard in my area. Very little reason to deviate. That said, most of my rods are 7'9", plus or minus a couple inches, but they fish more like 7'6", because they have long butts.

"30# and 50# deep water reels"

Always go with a smaller, lighter reel. The only fish that strips boat reels on a regular basis is a tuna. Even then, not that common. Stay away from tuna and you could fish 50# mono on a Jigmaster for the rest of your life and never have a problem with capacity. Switch to braid and you can use a much smaller reel than that.

When you want to use 345's, 4/0's, 6/0 is for ease of cranking fish from deep water. You gonna pull a lot of double header cod? Even then, there are smaller, lighter reels that do the job.

My rule of the thumb is if the partyboat is renting a certain size reel, you can always go smaller, but never ever go larger.

"Most guys have switched to Braided line, from 30-80# test, and stick it on 20# reels".

I placed 50# Steath on one of my 525's but have not had a chance to try it. 250yds took it right to the top, too much, will have to back-off to make room for the shocker. I will have to see what effect thumbing the braid has on my thumb, seems like just guiding wet braid line onto the reel should not cut? I thought most party boats did NOT want braid that is why I was hunting for a 50# 300+yd mono reel.

Thanks Triet, Saltheart, Billy40,

Seems like I may be on the OVER-GUNNED trail.

I need to back down a peg or two and consider larger boat design. At least the 40# rod does not seem to be under-weight or over-kill for mid-atlantic.

99% of the time, the ability to cast far and feel the bite will get you more fish than line capacity. The big reels, and sometimes the heavy line will get in the way of that. 40#? Blackfishing, bluefishing without a gaff, striperfishing without a net, cod. If that is all you do, then 40# will work. Otherwise go lighter.

I will have to see what effect thumbing the braid has on my thumb, seems like just guiding wet braid line onto the reel should not cut?

Best way to fix this problem - take about 50 yards off the spool (obviously depends on reel, about 3/16" from line to outer rim of spool), and just crank it in - who cares where it goes, as long as it doesn't go over the spool and onto the frame. Yes it will take more turns to get the line up - I do know how silly this sounds, and yes my reels were spooled up to teh rim, I used somoene's reel which was spooled up the way I suggested, and it was a LOT easier on my thumb.

That is another Inshore specific answer. You are underhand casting, so if you can throw it 150 feet, that's a super cast - having the line wound on not perfectly will not affect you the way it would if you were power casting.

For Blackfishing, my personal ideal set up is a Calstar 800L cut 2-3" off the tip, the rest off the butt to end up at 7'7. Combine that with a Newell 229 with 65# Tuff Line with a 60# Mono shocker (or 50# Tuff Line with 50# Mono). Other reels: Newell 322, 332, Trini 14.

Other rods? I'm going to try a GUSA 85 Mega Mag, a United URS80XH - both cut to 7'7.

Spiral rods, no problem. Levelwinds - YUCK! although you can use them, if you're able to use a non-lev, use that.

Triet makes very good points regarding PB-specific rods. I'd like to add to his line capacity remark - The deepest you will fish Inshore will be 150 feet. If you do Offshore Sea Bass trips, I guess 250 feet. Line capacity is the last thing you should worry about when selecting a reel for this type of fishing.