Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bentrod704

Question about double wrapping guides?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Im wrapping a few new guides on an older surf rod of mine and would like to know if I need to coat the under wrap with Flex Coat before I wrap on the new guide. Or do I just wrap the guide over the bare under wrap and then Flex Cloat the whole deal when Im done? Im using the high build Flex Coat. Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Jeff

It will work either way. The only time that I seem to have touble with not applying finish to an underwrap is when I am using the same color thread for the guide wrap. It is very difficult to see any gaps with the same color thread if it is dark thread. With finish applied to the underwrap it is easier to pack the thread on the guide and eliminate any gaps. With a light colored underwrap and dark overwrap it is easy to close the gaps.

Either way works for me.

If you apply finish to the underwrap before doing the over wrap you will have less bubbles in your finish to deal with. Air is trapped in and between the thread, sealing the underwrap takes care of the air there and you only have to deal with the air on the overwrap.

You know whats really funny is that, I viewed a link on the Flex-coat site whereas a guy was showing how he applys finish or rather Flex-coat. He advises not to use color preserver on the guide wraps because it creates a barrier that the flex-coat can't penetrate. If the flex-coat doesn't penetrate thru the wrap and adhere to the blank you will have cracks in the finish because the flex-coat is sliding back and forth over the barrier you will create by using color preserver. Makes alot of sense to me. The last two rods that I have built I used no color preserver on the guide wraps and they still look great with no cracks at the guide feet. biggrin.gif

Hey guys thanks for all the help regarding my question. Im gonna wrap me some guides today and bring back some life to my trusty old spring schoolie rod. I just made a nice rod rapper/dryer with bbq motor to spin things around while all is drying, perhaps someday get a blank and make me a nice 10'stik. We'll see how this goes first.Thanks again for the wisdom, Jeff