Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pksurfish

fluorocarbon and crazy glue

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have been using Crazy Glue on top of a uniknot to secure my Fireline to metal swivels, and it seems to work fine.

Now I have started using some relatively heavy (40lb.) flurocarbon leaders and was planning to uni-knot/Crazy glue that to swivels and hooks; the heavy fluorocarbon doesn't seem to hold the uniknot as securely as mono does, and I need something to make it hold so I don't have to worry about losing the giant stripers and blues I plan to catch.

My problem/question is: the tubes of Crazy Glue and like products I find all seem to warn "will not bond fluorocarbon" or "do not use with Teflon,flurocarbon, and like products." What is the story here? Should I go ahead and use the Crazy Glue or is it ineffectual? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

I know I am going to stir up a hornet's nest, but I believe that you do not need to use flourocarbon leader material for bass most of the time. There are certain times when the water is ultra clear that flouro leader will be of benefit when bass fishing.

As far as using knot glue on flouro leader, I do not use it. You should be able to tie secure knots in flouro leader by moistening the knot with saliva or other lubricant before drawing the knot tight. Try using either a double clinch or Trilene knot.

Al

I use a palomar knot to attach the whiplash or power pro to the swivel and it has never sliped or broken. In the past I have used ca or crazy glue but dont anymore. For the mono or Floro an improved clinch knot works fine. I also like the non-slip loop knot for jigs. Mark Sosin and Lefty Kreh have a nice little book out that covers them all pretty well. Good Luck Bruce

I've never used glue to secure a knot. On my fly leaders I'll sometimes put some Pliobond but that's just so it doesn't hang up in the snake guides.

I've been using Fireline all summer and now into the fall. I started using the Palmor knot but switched to an 8-turn Uni Knot and find ut much better.

As to the Fluoro, I use it almost exclusively for my fly leaders and only occationally for my surf leaders. I stick with hard nylon (Fin-Strike usually) for the surf leaders.