Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
karimm

Epoxy mixture

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Any suggestions on getting the mix equal as I have tried quite a few but not very successfull. the best so far I have come up with is a measuring spoon, but a lot of wastage. Counting the drops is what friends have suggested but the stuff I got is in two seperate bottles. BTW have only made two rods so far.

I have found measuring spoons work well for me. If you are pouring from the original bottle, I scrape the top of the spoon back into the bottle using a spatula. Be careful to thoughly clean the spoon and the scrapper with isopropal alcohol between the resin and the hardner. You don't want to contaminate either part.

This method works for me regardless of the finish I am using.

Gentle Ben

just buy the flex coat epoxy cups... they have measures on the sides. I always mix at least 4 drams (2 drams from each bottle). if you mix alot of epoxy, if you are off by a little bit, it really doesnt matter. if you mix less epoxy and you are off, its more dramtic.

BC

Thanks a lot for all the advice, I have tried using the medical type syringes but have found it dificcult as the viscosity of the two resins differ, have also been told that they contain silicone which does not interact well with the resins. Are these flexicoat ones specially for this use?

Are these flexicoat ones specially for this use?

Yes they are. But it's still unclear to me if you're asking about epoxy adhesive or rod / thread finish material. Adhesive I never bother to literally measure. Squeeze out a puddle of whichever part has the highest viscosity so it can settle a bit, and then squeeze out a similar sized puddle of the lighter half of the kit and mix thoroughly. If you do enough of it you can get way more than reasonable accuracy. I go thru a lot of epoxy and levels are down to virtually dead even by the time I'm at the end of even a large set.

Ifest results , you want to economize on finish , you need to measure very accurately or you will have a big problem when the finish fails to cure completely on the rods. For economic use of epoxy , the flex coat syringes are great.

For best , most predictable results , mix 5 CC each part. This is a lot of epoxy but with 10 total , the measuring cups are accurate enough.

Most beginners buy epoxy in small amounts and need to economize. Most professionals buy epoxy in large bottles which drive the unit cost down and couldn't care less about a little waste.

You talking finish, or adhesive? I mesure adhesive suce as 5-minute & Rod Bond with measuring spoons, and finsihs such as Aftcote and Glass Coat with syringes, not medical syringes, the one the rod building shops sell which contain no silicones. Drill a hole in the cap, never even have to take the cap off to get your 100% even measurement of Part A & B.

Once again thanks for the info guys, I was asking about finish rather than adhesive. Unfortunately where I come from in the Far East there are not many rod building shops, only fishing tackle shops and sometimes have to look for other alternatives. Just wanted some ideas, will look for the syringes during my travels but will probably stick to measuring spoons for the time being.

I've had very good results using the clear film canisters you can get for free at the photolab at the local food store. Use a good ruler and mark two equal lines. I also scarf a few of the free chopsticks from the sushi counter to stir.