Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PurpelNoon

Real Cork Fore-Grip

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I prefer cork to eva foam for all my grips that do not go into a rod holder. I only use eva where wear and tear are an issue because it holds up better in a rod holder and can be replaced easier.

Gentle Ben

On my last two rods I used a 5" cork foregrip. I prefer the feel of cork over cork tape and the look of cork over foam. On my most recent rod (surf spinner) I used a cork foregrip and a 5" cork butt grip. Inbetween the butt grip and the reel seat I used cork tape. I like the way it came out.

I've done it on a few rods too, they were (still are wink.gif ) boat rods, but like the way it worked out.

The only problem I foresee is if the rod had a thick butt, is the reaming, ask Billy 40 about it icon25.gif .

Heres my "crew" from fluking this past saturday

1 cork tape foregrip

2 real cork foregrips

No icon25.gif foregrip

flukingcrewofrods.jpg

mycrewflukerodsssss.jpg

[ 08-09-2004, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Ed J ]

Those are nice Ed. I have a surf rod with about 6" foregrip and I like it alot. At first I worried it might stop the action of the rod at that point but hopefully it wont be significant. Also, it puts your finger a little bit closer to the line roller of the manual bail so you can grab the line easier.

I like the " Real Cork" foregrip on my smaller rods for chunking, but only from the boat. I dont like having to ream about an inch or so of cork to get down on a 136 1MH, you left with about 2 millimeters of cork after reamming. If I could find wider diameter corking boring, I would use it more. I like the bigger grip to grab especially when fighting a big fish. But so I just do double or even triple cork tape on the foregrip..

BC

I use real cork foregrips myself. I build spinners and like the smoother harder surface over tape or foam, to pin my line against when casting. Allows me to put more power into my casts. Plus I like the feel when fighting a fish. Stylish as well biggrin.gif

9' has 4" cork

8' has 2" cork

Like BC said, ya gotta ream the center hole out to slide it down the blank. My advice is to drill it out with a press or hand drill. Then use a rat-tail file for the finish work. Those reaming sticks just make a mess of the cork if ya ask me.

BTW , its the choice of grit size that will make or break a reamer. Too coarse a grit and you'll pull out grains of cork instead of cutting. That will result in the mess and damage MarkL has mentioned.

Another vote for cork rings, this is on a Lamiglas Ron Arra 1204, plus the rod balances right on the fore grip so it is easier to carry on long walks in the sand.