Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Cod Jiggin on "The banks"?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al:

I do alot of New England Codfishing. I fish on the Yankee Patriot out of Gloucester,MA and do alot of Jig fishing on Stellwagon Bank. This year I made the switch from Micron to Powerpro and the results were spectacular!

I think it's about time I updated my jig rod. Right now I am using a "War Club" that is built on a Lami SB 120 8M cut to a 30 tip! This rod was designed years ago by George Hilton in Newburyport Mass, and is the rod that is still the gold standard in New England. I think of this stick as a throwback from the days mono was the only choice.

Any recomendations(Rod blanks)? I would love to have a jig outfit such that the entire outfit comes in under 2 pounds. This would of course require either a Newell reel or a Progear.

Capt Tim Towers of the Maine based "Bunny Clark" had come up with a couple of excellent rods built from cut down Seeker Graphite composite surf blanks, but , prefers to keep the specs(blank#) to himself.

Capt' Joe Huckmeyer of the Helen H is field testing a Loomis rod that may be prohibitively expensive. The rod is a $300 surf blank with 2 ft cut from the tip.

What do you think?

Professa,

Now you are in my territory. I have codfished all the way up to Bar Harbor, Maine. One of my great mentors in rodbuilding was Capt. Wally Hines of Yankee Tackle in Gloucester. I am very familiar with the "War Club".

With the introduction of spectra line several years ago, the rod building dynamics changed significantly. You will be jigging primarily 12-16 ounce jigs with occassionally needing to go heavier in very deep water or on fast tide days.

I like a 7 foot stick, it gives me more leverage on the fish and it's lighter. Some people prefer 7.5 feet. I would not go any longer.

Here are some blanks to consider. All are composite:

Seeker CJB80H, with 4 inches trimmed from the tip.

Seeker CJB70H. Use as is.

Lami CGBT841M. "The Hammer". A personal favorite.

The ultimate big bucks blank. Loomis Hybrid HB80H with 3 inches off the tip.

Set these up with Fuji SIC HNSG guides,Fuji seat and grip material of your choice.

Match a Newell 338-3.6 and the whole outfit should come in around two pounds.

Al G.

Al:

Thank You so much for your reply. It seems that we have similar tastes in fishing. Nothin better than a good day on the banks jiggin Cod! Or...pulling big blackfish in deep water... or ... Fluking in the channels or...Tuna fishing the canyons at night(remmember the 1989 season at the Baccardi!). Did I mention I love to fish?

Tuna fishing at the Bacardi in 1989. Now that was a season to remember. We made the run nine times that year. My personal best was a yellowfin of 185#. My bones still ache with the memory of that season.

I spent from 1979-1984 fishing primarily for cod on the Indian out of Kennebunkport with Dick Brindle. Some of the regulars were Billy Bush, Ken Gearhardt, Smitty from Andover, Frenchy and the Grey Ghost (Harold Stanyk). We fished Jeffries Ledge and Platts Bank when 50# cows were common and there was always the possibility of hooking into a halibut. I had five flatties during that period, the biggest was 105#. I even got smoked by a bluefin tuna that took a jig on Jeffries and dumped my reel of 500 yards of 50# dacron.

I have our first tog trip of the season this Saturday in Orient. Would you like to join us?

Al G.

Al:

Thanks so much for the invite,but, I need to take a rain check. Two weeks ago I took a spill on a jetty and dislocated my left shoulder. That is what prompted the question about a lighter Cod Jig outfit. I don't want to tempt fate and subject my bad arm to that Wally Hines War Club this spring.I am out of commision until November.

In 1989 I made 11 trips to that canyon, 9 Bacarrdi runs and two trips to the west wall.All with the Blue Sea II. I was a single fishin' fool in those days, not to mention that I was an established "Puller" in the bay. The Cannisi family treated me like a relative. I used to fish for the boat, and they liked the fact that I got along well with his steady customers, helping them rig up and such. My personal best is a 205# yellowfin that I landed on the west wall of the canyon. The week before I made a crew trip on the Zephyr three days before they closed the bluefin season. I tangled with a fish about 275#(Capt Butch Rafi said it was 800#,but,I got a good look at the fish.) for 1.5 hours in rain wind and 10 ft seas at 2:30 AM. Once I broke that fish off he went home. That was my only skunk that year.

I never got in on that good fishing in Kenebunkport. I have fished the Yankee Fleet since 1979. The local fishing is really coming back! This year I fished Stellwagon alot. My best producing jig was a "40 B". This is a 10 ounce Chrome over lead jig that really tends bottom well. I actually prefer it to a "Rustfrei" jig of the same weight. With 80# powerpro this jig is tops. Its amazing, I have a ton of stainless steel jigs from Norway, yet my two top producers are beat up chrome/lead jigs, go figure?

The CJB80H sounds nice! It has enough length such that If I prefer to take an inch or two more of the tip I can without shortening up the rod. The rod that capt Tim Towers designed is 7'3" so you are on the money. It seems that with the spectra line you can go shorter and lighter. The old war club had to compensate for the massive amount of stretch in the 50# Ande line most of the locals use.

Are you using the spectra for bait fishing as well? Again, a re-adjustment in skills/timing is required. The Cod feel like they are going to rip the rod out of your hands.

Thanks again!

Prefessa

Professa,

I used Power Pro for all my fishing whether using articials or bait. The bite detection is phenomenal.

My favorite is tog and blackfishing with that line in deep water. Talk about separating the "men from the boys". Crazy Al Knie and I were on a tog trip several years ago before the limits were in place. There were 40 people on the headboat and maybe 100 keepers taken. Crazy and I had about 60 of them between us and we were throwing alot back. Talk about death looks. We also did that on a few long-range cod trips.

Al G.