Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nemesis

Suggestions Please

16 posts in this topic

Don't do anything someone else tells you too. smile.gif

What I mean is, every person is different and has their own ways of rigging a yak. It is a personal preference thing you will only figure out by paddleing and fishing before you drill any holes. I would hook up with people in your area who already have their yaks rigged and try them out. It will give you a place to start. I would also suggest you use as little rigging as possible. Less is definalty better when yak fishing. too much stuff just gets in the way. Hope this helps.

Dick

Always best to start easy and take it out in actual fishing type settings so you can fully get a feel for where to place stuff.

Only then will you know what to put where etc.

And.............you will adjust things as you grow into the boat/sport.

I'd not drill/cut any holes till its been paddled and fished out of a bit.

I will join the growing chorus of voices that warn against drilling first and thinking later. Only YOU can determine where your left hand falls, and what you want there. Only YOU can determine whether a certain rodholder location would interfere with paddling. Or whether a given location for a paddle clip will stick your leg every time you enter.

Go slow! (Getting there is half the fun)

------------------

AMMODYTE(@>

(The angler FORMERLY known as "Flounder").

Geeez dont scare the guy about taking slow.You got to start somewhere.Start drilling biggrin.gif Check out a angler package for some pics of the rear spots.You can only put them behind you or in front of you.That pic of JonS shows the ram rod and tube.

Look behind your seat.See those 2 raised areas .Put in 2 ram ball mounts there.You can get the tube and a ram rod or 2 tubes your choice.These are good infinatly adjustable holders.

Thats a good place to start.If you only spin fish use a flush mount and one ram.You need to have at least one to start off.Once you start fishing and want a front rod holder feel it out and find your spot.

I dont like rod holders in front of me trolling. Something about braided line going across my face.When taken a hard corner trolling.

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

All fisherman are liars except for me and you.But I am not so sure about you

[This message has been edited by joev (edited 03-10-2003).]

Its not rocket science. I've probably set up more kayaks then most guys so I've drilled a lot of holes. The first thing I do is find out what methods the person likes to fish. If they fly fish then there are certain things to account for. In a 160 I like a flush mount straight on my right side up front and behind me an angled flush mounut rotated to the outside. I put a RAM ball up front too for trolling a fly rod but it will also accept the RAM tube. Behind me on the left side I put a Scotty mount. This is where the fly rod goes when I'm not trolling with it. Also up front is another RAM ball for a electronics mount. I also put a pulley on the rear right for anchor/drift sock deployment. I put a paddle keeper on the left side for when I don't want the paddle in my lap and a rubber paddle clip on the right side slightly behind me to hold a lip gripper. That's my preferred 160 setup. 120 will be very similar.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Jay, the pic above is the Cape. Those dots in the background are Jim and Doug. Joey took the pic.

Nemesis, if you're not going to use the standard seat (I don't) then you're going to need to mount some eyelets. At least 2 new forward ones. Any aftermarket seat will do. I'm partial to the StS as they have incredible support. The new GTS is awesome and I can't wait to try it on the water.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 03-11-2003).]

Thank you for the help, guys.

I have a 160, and I was interested in some brands... apparently the ram is liked smile.gif for a rod holder. I will definitely be taking her out a bit more before I place it. Although I think Joev's suggestion about one in the back to start is well put.

What about a more comfortable seat? Thanks

You mean you don't like the abomination? That's what I call the stock seat. I'm using a StS Highback with an air pillow underneath. It does the job and totally negates the hump and is both supportive and comfy. I personally use the fishing model that has 2 rod holders built in.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

Jon The new Tarpons have the eyelets moved up already.They moved them forward about 4-6 inches.Would you still have put new ones on ?Or is that far enough .

JoeV

------------------

Always Wishin I Was Yak Fishin

All fisherman are liars except for me and you.But I am not so sure about you