Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wee Hooker

Hobbie Kayak ?

35 posts in this topic

I was watching one of those FW fishing shows on the tube Sunday when I saw these guys fishing from Hobbie SOT type yaks. These are the yaks w removable penguin type flippers underneith that are operated by peddles. Until I saw the show, I though that it had to be a gimmick and a real work out. Now I have to admit that the combination flippers and rudder seemed to work pretty well, produce good speed AND keep your hands free. I'm just curious, ( and not ready to give up my Pungo)anybody here ever try one?

You can simply lift the device up (like a sailboat dagerboard) or completly remove it without any bolts or hardware. Simply reinsert when off the shoal. I will call them today and try to find out what the minmum depth is the paddles will operate in.

We are waiting for 6 of them in the shop any day. The first one I open is mine and will be a demo for anyone who wants to try it.

Barrell

Replying from Hatteras. I got one a little while back, it's my fourth kayak. I just got a chance to use it this week at the Point in Buxton. Birds working off the beach near the shoals. The guys surf fishing were hardly doing a thing. I cought 30-40 blues a day, the last three days. One 30lb. brown shark and one large cow nose ray, and one small weakfish. I cannot tell you how helpfull it was using the peddles while figting a fish, and having your hand free. The amount of area I could cover whith minimal effort was incredible. Very stable. have not tried the sail option yet. I thought they were a little pricey but after using it it's a good value. As for the water depth.... If you push your peddle forward it keeps the fins in the up position, then if you need to just use your paddle. I highly recommend getting one!!

------------------

Capt.Tom "TomKat" O'Brien

Barrell - Have you tested The Hobie Mirage Outback Kayak yet?

What are your thoughts?

PM me please with your website, it seems I lost it! redface.gif

They have exploded in popularity since the Hank Parker show has been on tv. There was a delay in getting them shipped. Trucker called today said he would be here Monday morning. I will fish one monday night and give you a report. Mine will be a demo if anyone wants to come on down and borrow it.

Barrell

I am new to the kayak thing. While shopping for one, I was very impressed with the design and concept of the Hobie. I never tested one in the water, but I did ask alot of questions about it. The reason that I didn't purchase it was because of my concerns regarding the launching of it from a shallow watered rocky shoreline in fairly rough surf. Also, the 70lb. weight didn't turn me off as much as the fact that you can't peddle in reverse. If I did purchase one, I definetly WOULD NOT leave the paddle home...especially while in the ocean!

As a side note, I chose the COBRA F&D as my first kayak. Every yak seems to have its advantage or dissadvantage over the next. I opted for proven stability and storage space, as I will be launching and using it at some pretty rough locations.

I have the Hobie Mirage Tandem its great.If your'e that worried about shallow water you can always leave the fins out till you get to deeper water and remove them while beaching. They really do work great.And go in and out easily. Would have loved to get the outback but I'll be fishing mostly with the wife, who usually out fishes me. Thinking of getting it for when I fish alone. Maybe she'll get it for me for Christmas. I highly reccomend them.

Awsome is the word. Well thought out design for fishing. Tackle box is right below your thighs for easy access.35 inches wide is plenty stable and floats the big boys.I wish it had a deaper well in the back. I just crammed a large milk crate under the bungies. I also added a scotty behind my right elbow and a flush mount under my left fist. Boat is a little wide to paddle but you never touch the paddle except to go in reverse. The foot propulsion is amazing tho device is adjustable with a simple pin system for different leg lenghths. It drops in the slot and two cam nuts lock it in place with no toold needed. When you start to peddle it seems like a pig but by the 5 or 6th kick you realize you are traveling faster than you could paddle. The rudder control is under your right hand. It is very precise a slight change is noticed instantly. If you are peddling fast and throw the lever hard over the boat banks into a 180 degree turn, throwing a wake. Navigating aroung pilings was suprisingly easy. Goiung against the current is easier than using a paddle. In shallow water or when beaching you just push one peddle forward and the "sails" flippers fold up tight against the bottom of the boat.

Boat seems to be pretty durable as the plug I cut out for the flush mount was thicker than any other boat I ever cut. The seat is comfortable but lacks a backpack. the paddle lashes provided on both sides are quik and easy to use.

I have not tried to use the sail yet but it looks great on display outside the shop. I wheigh 200 lbs and dont get any water in the boat. It doesnt seem to get any splashing either.

Boat tracks great in the wind.

The first 6 we got into the shop sold out in 3 days. I now have two deposits already on the next order due in this week. I will have a demo at the Ocean County kayak demo day on June 7th at Welles Milles park.

Barrell

No, The kayak has a slot that is molded to drop the foot propulsion into. Two cams turn to lock it in place. And a rudder system with precision control would be needed to stear.

Barrell