Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

Thames Report 11/11

8 posts in this topic

Well it was cold and windy.Hit the launch spot at 530 am. Paddled to mouth of Shetucket river water was moving nice.Loaded with shad before daybreak.Paddled up into river to catch a couple of Hickory shad.Hooked one up within 10 minutes I had a runner.Lost fish and bait.Went back up river caught another shad tossed him out.Hooked up and landed a 28 inch bass.I lost a very large bass yak side icon15.gif it was in 40 inch range.I also saw 3 bass landed from boats all between 30-40 inches. Also had a couple of blues chopping up my bait.Saw 1 Blue caught off of town docks and a couple of hook ups.It was cold but worth it.Hickory shad are getting big as most were in 14-17 inch range had to throw some back because they were to big .So the bass and blues are still there .Also those Hick shad are great fighters on lite tackle.Good day on the water.It might be my last since I am going on vacation to Fla.Might try to sneak one morning in before I go .I wont return till Dec. 2 so I think it will be a little to cold to fish. But you never know lots of fish hold in the Thames all winter.Something to think about on those warm snaps that we get.If you want to get in on this action better hurry.This was same spot Dougiev picked up a 39 inch 20 pd bass.

joev

Hey Arnie , I launched out of Norwich.Park is on Rt.2 .Stay left and paddle past bridges go to next bridge thats were the shad are.I was using 1 1/2 inch hot pink curly tail grub on a 1/4 head.White also worked .All bass caught were downstream from that bridge about 1/2 way to next bridge.Also had a couple hits next to the second bridge downstream from 1st.Before sunrise Hickorys were in mouth of river right off the bank parking lot.I will get you some names of park later.

joev

Mike I was just hooking thru head.Using a 7/0 circle hook with 60 pd florocarbon leader aprox. 3ft to a 60 pd barrel swivel connected to my main line.

joev

Commando Joe: nice outing. we'll all be looking forward to your Florida reports! wink.gif

what's it gonna be, fishing the surf? or perhaps you'll be at Disney, fishing the golf courses for largemouth! either way is fine with us so long as you send the reports.

I put in yesterday am at Pine Island; it felt like January and was dead. I went up to Trading Cove and it looked dead also and I didn't even launch. I'm hoping that this week's warm-up gets me motivated again...

Thanks Bill I will try to sneak in some fishing.Wife though is all set with fishing so I gotta take it easy.Going to hit the Basspro stores in Ilsamorada and find some Xmas presents.I also want to try to go out on a flats charter.I will have to get alot of brownie points first to pull it off.Anyway there only 5 months till the herring run starts for me.Then its fishing at least 4 days per week for 6 weeks .Guess I cant complain.

joev biggrin.gif