Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

Anbody get any yak xmas gifts?

22 posts in this topic

Nothing directly yakish (I'm pretty well fully rigged) but I did get a couple of peripheral items that will see a lot of yak use.

1. Costa del Mar sunglasses. After the demise of my last good polarized pair midseason, these are a welcome addition to the arsenal.

2. Digital camera (Cannon elph) with divers waterproof case. Ohmygodyouwon'tbelivehowsmallitis! A bit thinner and the camera would fit a credit card slot in your wallet. Hopefully, I'll have many more opportunities to post cool pics this year.

I hope Santa was good to everybody else this year.

Merry (late) Christmas,

Chris

Raregroove: lucky man! I checked out their website... looks like a "must have". I'm hoping that you can help with a couple questions: first, I'm assuming that its OK for saltwater. The company is Minn-based so I'm sure they will be surprised to learn about the potential in the saltwater-yak market. The only thing exposed to salt (directly) will be the transducer and its bracket... the transducer will be a closed unit and should be fine. Second question: do they offer any transducer brackets that are adjustable etc so that they can be attached to a yak? will the suction cups adhere to a plastic yak? how bout thru-hull mounts. thanks for any advice, and congrats.

I did get a Ocean Kayaking book from my sister and a pretty cool seat/blanket/stuff holder/thermos thingy. Looks like it will be a great addition to my fishing arsenol. For some reason, I can't get my family to purchase fishing gear for me during the holidays.

Delorme Atlas & Gazzete for our beloved state of NJ- I got some spots picked out allready . I heard of a nice Clayton sand pit in SJ thats hold some Bass & Pick. & its clear as GIN!

------------------

39761156 Fresh air-clean water-Big fish

My wife bought me a fishfinder,Garmin 76 Handheld GPS and a kayak cart for use on those beaches that have long walks to the water. She's the best.

riBill question:

will the suction cups adhere to a plastic yak? how bout thru-hull mounts. thanks for any advice, and congrats.

I wouldn't try using suction cups. If you paddle over a sand flat it can easily come off or get damaged. But Santiago II seems to have the best and easiest way to install a transducer without gluing it down inside the hull. Here's Santiago II post:

I hate the idea of gluing a transducer down. I have a foam insert glued into the hull which the transducer is placed inside. You put about a shot glass full of water into the foam and push the transducer down snuggly. Works great, never had a failure. I've posted the idea to people on CKF before and nobody's every told me about any problems with it.

I will be installing my fishfinder using that method.

JonS,

Try this link ( Cannon S100 ) for the camera. The really cool part is the waterproof case that allows full functionality. I haven't ever found a link to it online but it's similar to this one:Camera-housing.jpg

Reports on both will have to wait until I've had a chance to use them both a bit more.

Chris

Porter,

What's the brand for the housing? Is it Elph specific? I've been looking at the S100 and will be interested in your experience. I have an Elph 370Z and it is excellent but I really want to get a digital now. The S100 costs about what I paid for the 370Z.

John

Yep, it's S110 specific. I have it here on my desk today so I can shoot a picture of it to upload later on (check back, it'll show up). For now, it's a Cannon AW-PS200. Just so the sticker shock deosn't kill you, I think the housing costs nearly as much as the camera. Ouch!

Chris