Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slack Tidings

Brand/Size Split Rings for SP Minnows?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Off shore angler makes a great 2 x split ring i use on all lures i need split rings on. i use there smaller 2x split ring that i believe is a 60 pound ring which fits in there small eyelet without getting stuck and i upgrade the hooks to the next size i try not to go to 4x because i feel it would destroy the action of this great casting plug. i have caught Bass on these very good plugs i hope they make them in the future with larger eyelets because they have a winner with this plug with the magnet system.

Can't go wrong with Rosco 5H the old standby. I have been known to put whatever on there mostly it's 135 lb Wolverines which don't move that freely but get the job done. Any gauge of wolverine over 135 lb will probably not turn too well on the loops.

i believe the sp minnow doesnt have a magnet, they are tungsten balls, but indeed its a great lure. regarding split rings and hooks, look for wind cheater bomber, swap the hardware, the split ring and the treble hook, wind cheater has a good but not the best split rings and a (special) treble hook. compare them and see what the difference is. technically this will give the sp a better balance when swimming.

I use Rosco 4H or 5H

hooks, I use VMC 2/0 or 3/0 which may or may not include swivel on the main body hook depending on various situations

I did manage to straighten 2 x heavy split rings so far though but I am sure that was torque related and wasnt using swivel at that time

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post

spro power ring in a #5 size. 90# rating and are pretty much the same size as the factory rings. VMC 2/0 hooks and you are good ta go

what he said

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post

spro power ring in a #5 size. 90# rating and are pretty much the same size as the factory rings. VMC 2/0 hooks and you are good ta go

this works well for me to!

I think regardless on brand I like kork but roscoe # 4 is a good size for bombers & for the SP 5/0 may be a trifle large but both are good. Roscoe 5H 100lb

#4 H - 85- test

not 100% sure but the oem split rings looks like and are identical to the owner hyper wire rings i have. hyper wire being formed with some what flattened wire as opposed to round wire. if so, the 6" sp comes with 50 lb. rings.