Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TatonkaJames

JonS

6 posts in this topic

All I did was paddle it at a demo so I can't give you much. I know that barrel loves it. I'm sure he'll add to this. The kayak isn't laid out great and its heavy but its definately got its place.

I wouldnt say I love it yet but I am impressed with the things it can do. Last night we were under a bridge with strong currents. My legs did get worn out but I still think that will get better as I build the muscles used for foot propulsion. What most impressed me last night was how easy it was to deal with a snag in strong current. I probably had 10 snags and instead of freaking out in the current and going for the paddle before breaking off the line or worse rod it was a simple matter to just start kicking and accelerate upstream of the snag. I got every snag free except one which I broke off upstream after it wouldnt come out.

I also foung that by leaning into a turn and pumping hard with full rudder I could pull off some amazing turns into the current. It has less initial stability than Cobra or emotion which allows this banked manuever. Secondary stability is rock solid.

The layout is actualy great as I said in "Kayak Fishing Secrets" many years ago and still beleive You should never have to get out of the seat to reach anything. This yak feels like a fish and dive only everything is within easy reach. The wells running down each gunnel are a

great idea. I keep my pliers ,pocket knife, scissors,bug spray etc. there until done for the evening.

I only put my rod down and picked up the paddle once last night when a power boat cut in front of me. (you cant go in reverse with the foot propulsion)

More on it as I learn more.

Barrell

If you please, what is the weight. Do you transport on rack or trailer and if on rack is it easy on/off load ? I like the leg power as opposed to paddle. Both give a good work out but my legs are stronger so I'm leaning towards the Hobie. Is it as stable as the FnD ?

Yes it is as stable but different because it rolls side to side easily but stops at a point and wont roll any further. This is what I mean by initial and secondary stability. The foot propulsion changes everything You know about how kayaks handle. It is unique and I learn something new evertime I use it. I have yet to hear a negative comment from anyone who has had one for a period of time.

Barrell