Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OCSurfFishn

Accessories for Tarpon 120

4 posts in this topic

As I wait for my Tarpon 120 Angler, I'm looking into accessories

I've picked out a handheld waterproof VHF... do I want submersible or will waterproof suffice?

What kind of Fishfinder do I want?? Keep in mind I've never even had a boat so I don't know what kind of transducer mount I want

Preferably, no drilling or cutting required

I don't need a top of the line one, just something simple

Thanks

Get over any fears of drilling the yak and you'll end up with a better fishing machine. The best way to mount a transducer is inside the hull and if you don't drill a hole you can't connect the cable from the transducer to the unit. Also you'll want to add other things too.

If you want to make the seat comfy add either the Endurance seat set or the Air Support II seat systems. They're really nice on Tarpons.

Drill holes where you need them, just little holes anyway.

VHF

Waterproof doesn't mean much without specifying standards. A good level is IPX7 or it's Japanese equivalent JIS7. Equipment at this standard will be protected up to 30 minutes immersion at 1 meter. Also consider what kind of battery it runs on, Li ion are easier to recharge without prblems. I have an Icom M1V I'm happy with. Shop around, many marine suppliers will sell at less than they can advertize. Depending where you paddle a cell phone in an Otter box may be more useful than a VHF.

A good UHF or a cell phone are definite assets to anyone on any sizeable body of water.

One thing I'd like to add, is that the inexpensive and readily available GMRS (?) radios that nearly everyone sells now (We've the best luck with the Motorolas) is a great thing to have when you're fishing or paddling with others. On most waterways you get a full two-mile range and a set of batteries will last two full days, unless you do a lot of transmitting. They help you stay in touch with your buddies who may be fishing just a ways off.

We put them in ziplock bags and put them in our vests. Then connect via a seperate microphone/speaker that pins our vest in the chest area. You just reach up with one hand and press a button to talk. Really keeps everyone in touch and makes the day more fun.