Stockingfoot Breathable Wader Selection

Only a few companies make most of the waders. Hodgeman and Proline are the biggies. I have the Bass Pro Whitewaters which look like Prolines. They've been great and are heading into their 3rd season. For the $99 I spent I've been very pleased.

Anybody using waist high with a paddling jacket? If so, has waist seal been sufficient? Figured would save 15-20 bucks on the waders and probably more comfortable in the yak, easier pit stops, etc.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I used to have Orvis Clearwaters and they were thin. I sent them back after about 10 months and got the Silver Labels. They are much heavier and more durable. Since I fish a lot of cold weather/water, I also went with the bootfoot models instead of the stockingfoots. They are roomier, easier to get in and out of, and very comfy for the yak IMHO. They are far superior in terms of warmth for winter steelheading in the Great Lakes, so if you currently get cold feet in stockingfoot waders, give bootfoot models a look. I know a lot of people feel stockingfoots are better for walking, but walking in bootfoots seems to be much better than freezing in stockingfoots IMHO.

Another vote for the Cabelas Dry-Plus. Great wader for the money. Have a pair each of the stockingfoot and the bootfoot. Got two pair for the price of one pair of 5x's replaced leaky Orvis waders.

Tim Egan
<*{{{{{{{-<
"Backlash" Sportfishing
-----------------------
If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

The best waders handsdown(feet down) are Simms Guideweight Waders. Sure they cost a bunch, but they are known as the best for technology, customer support and warranty. In fact, they'll send you a free video on the safety aspects of using them. I really don't feel that waders are kayak safe. I have done it once and felt uneasy the whole time. Wetsuits are proper for yakin'. That said, you'll get no better wader performance than you will with the SIMMS products. They set the standard and are the waders all the other makers try match.Free vid on their website:

Http://www.simmsfishing.com

You can get the SIMMS on sale if you look around the web. I use a pair for surf fishing and love them.

Has anyone using chest waders gone it the drink and been able to stay dry enough to re-mount the kayak? I am all ears on this.

Sharp1

Sharp1,

I've been pressing them for almost a year on this and they say yes, so I think I'm going with it. Wetsuit is gonna get old in the summer. I've been checking and quite a few good kayakers wear waders, even instructors, if they know they are going to be in the water a lot. I still don't know what I'll get to fit over the feet in place of wading shoes, though. Key seems to be a belt, paddling top and PFD over the whole mess.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

Sharpy,

I won't bore you with the details here, but if you go back in the archives,look for "Maiden Voyage".

You'll see what a disaster my initial trip was with waders.

I will continue to use the waders, but I too feel that the farmer johns are the way to go.

Psychologically anyway!

They'll be too hot for summer.

My NRS "John" just came along w/the workboots!

I'm gonna give them a try tomorrow.

I'll let you all know the outcome.

JimW & DASBOOT,

Even in the summer, the johns are not that hot. You can always get a 2mm John for cheap, and perhaps a shorts version for the dog dayz. I find that by peeling the john down to the waste allows you to be cool enough and then when in the shadows, the wet, or at dusk, you are then OK too when you zip-up. If you keep it a bit damp it helps, and I simply splash down the suit and do OK.

Now when I go to Baja where the water is 80's and the air is 90s', I cover up from the sun by only wearing Skins, which are the spandex rash guard full body suits along with a pair of fishing shorts with pockets and I am set. Add a good hat and paddling gloves and off to battle I go.

Lastly, I have a full Ti thread fabric diver's liner that is equivelant in warmth to a 3MM neopreme wet suit.It is fleece lined and snug fitting. In the winter, I wear this liner under the 3MM paddle John and am toasty in 50 degree water. In moderate temps (60's) I'll go with the lycra skin and John. In Mid summer when the water is in the 70's, I'll wear the diver's fabric liner and shorts and I can soak it to get evaporation cooling; and never seem to need that much. My arms are always wet from paddlin and the but gets soaked from wave spalsh drainage. I use water shoes in summer, and water boots in winter. I use poly (wicking) hiking liner socks in either case.Also, the biking poly scivies with the padded but really help (extra cushioning-yes) and also won't retain water. No Cotton!!

So mix and match I say. Never too much specialty clothing and yak gear.

And yes I had an instructor and guide recently take a whole class out is waders. He says you have 30 seconds befor you get serious leakage into the waders. Just make sure EVERY stitch of layered clothing under those waders are Poly fleece or a synthetic or wat least wool. No cotton. Cotten kills.

JimW-try some mono high top tennies for shoes over the stocking feet. Think Air Jordans on blow-outsmile.gif

Hey-and just my thoughts. There are no kayak laws, cept' the PFD, Whistle and comon sence.

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 03-28-2002).]

I wouldn't use waist highs. In the seated position you could end up with a gap. The chest highs are the way to go. You get a great deal of overlap. I use the Black Rock top and the only weakness to the system is the neck seal. With a PFD on I can't get my neck under the water to let it in.

If I were fishing the cold Pacific in the open ocean I'd be in a wetsuit most likely. Our environments are very different. We usually very close to shore with land everywhere. We rarely go out through the surf until the fall when the water's the warmest. then its more of a matter of protection from the sun until late fall.

There isn't a perfect system as there isn't a perfect kayak. We're all going to end up with a variety of gear.

MANY THANKS to all who responded. I think I will give the Cabellas Dry + a shot. I put this message out and 24 hours later I have the benefit of years of others valuable experience! Im glad that we have this technology to use and hope I can return the favor soon. Thanks again guys!!!!