Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

East End LI

17 posts in this topic

I was supposed to hook up with DCVER and the Salty Flyrodders out at the east end Saturday. They were staying in Greenpoort. I had a kayak to drop off on the way and ended up installing some stuff and talking so I didn't make it out east til close to noon. I ran into DCVER immediately and he was ready to fish. I didn't argue except to say I had to east first, so we did. So now it was off fishing. DCVER had a spot that he was told was producing. Some flat in a bay so off we went. First we mounted some accessories on his yak and then off we went. Wind was from the SE so there was chop but it was't bad so we headed off to a bay within a bay and some creeks. This was DCVERs first salt experience. He's had a yak for almost a year but was only using it in the fresh. Now he had 2 yaks. So it was time. I left DCVER fishing a flat and I went up the creek to explore. It was coming up on dead low. I found bait and lots of shrimp but know fish. SO I headed back to where DCVER was and found him app. 100 yards out on a flat from where he had left the yak. He had lost one fish and had seen another go by him. So I hopped off my yak in the 2+' water and started casting. Within a few casts I had a hit which turned out to be a Sea Robin. A bunch of its friends followed it. So I decided I was going to cross the channel and hit a flat on the other side. DCVER started back to get his yak and the water was getting deeper on him. He was going the wrong way so I directed him as I could see the shallows from my vantage point. He learned when flats fishing its a good idea to have the yak close by or attached. You never know when you'll need it.

So I hit the opposite flat. Within a few casts I had a striper on but it got off. It was a slot sized fish. A few cast later I got another and it was smaller. I landed a fish of app. 20" which fought very well in the 1-2' water. Then I got 2 more slots. Great fights. DCVER joined me and all I got were hits. So we decided to hop on the yaks and go to the far side of the flat. I cast to deeper water and I think that it was my first cast, got a hit and the drag screamed. Here's what I ended up with.

Jon2-sm.jpg

It was just under 30". DCVER also got his first saltwater kayak fish which was a small cocktail. We drifted in the the rising tide and DCVER had to get back to a Prime Rib all you can eat dinner. So we had to pack it in. I went back to the flat that had produced and got another nice fish while DCVER was paddling over. It was just a bit smaller then the other big one. It was a shame to leave good fishing but we had to go. So we got back around 7 pm and they were still doing presentations. Here's

No pic but I'm sure it was a nice fish! Congrats to you and DCVER on a nice trip. I'm sure you were on the bay side any names pop out at you? Corey Creek, Richmond or Cedar Pt? I'm thinking of taking the wife out East for a weekend and these places all were good from shore so they should be "yakable".

I use slot to give a size. They're all non keepers since I don't keep stripers.

Salty, that's a negative on all those names. I'll forward the pic to someone to see if the problem's on my end.

I got all of my fish on a 3" Storm Wildeyes in natural shad color. These things are hot. Right before it hit the water I'd start reeling fast. I've been catching everything from crappie, yellow perch, pickerel, smallies and largemouths and stripers on them. I like the 3 and 4" the best. Perfect for my lighter salt outfit. Gotta get a bunch more.

You just gotta love it when Jon is pumped and DCVER gets his first yak fish! Their enthusiasm gets your mind a think'n...need to fish soon. Nice trip guys, looked like fun.

You mean that 3" end cut, MR. The shrimp, mussels, arthichoke chicken ........... were pretty good too. I also finally got to meet Jaiem and then Rich was there from Lake Hopatcong, so we talked awhile.

How did you and Reno do the rest of the trip?