Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

FishFinders

24 posts in this topic

I am gonna get one for my new yak.Would like to here what other people are using.Any pro cons.Would like to spend less than $ 150.Was thinking the new Garmin one.They claim it can be submersed for 30 mins.in 3 feet of water.

Thanks for any input

joev

WS Tarpon SOT .Its long and fast.Gotta try and get out on it soon(I need my fix) .Its the angler model with rudder.Got a great deal on it that I could not pass on.

Joev

Garmin 240.

Very clear screen.

Great resolution and nice options.

First one for me so I can't compare it to anthing else.

I went w/the 240 because I wanted the 240 pixels on the screen.

It's about double what you want to spend but see if it's on sale somewhere.

Good luck!

I did a lot of research on the California and Gulf Coast kayaking web-sites before my wife bought me 1 for christmas. It seems they like using the Humminbird 100SX which costs $99 and the Humminbird 200DX. I ended up getting the Humminbird 200DX for a total of $110 with the $20 rebate from Boaters World. I really can't see spending more than that on a fish finder.

[This message has been edited by FLYRODDER (edited 01-02-2002).]

I have a Humminbird 300TX that lasted about a year and a half before the LCD hit the crapper. Within a month or so of use it started to get condensation on the inside of the face and was at times unreadable. I think I'll try a Garmin.

When I decided to look into fish finders I did a bunch of online research. The WMI board was especially helpfull. I learned a few things. 1) Hummingbirds don't hold up and very few people weren't experiencing problems. 2) Lowrance and Garmin were terrific and of the 2 the Garmin was a better value. Most people selling a Garmin were doing so to get a more expensive one. They weren't going to another brand.

Hi Fellows: Don't neglect researching the Vexilar brand Fish Finders for your yaks. They are tops and rated very highly by the Guru of sonar-Max Chavez. I use the Boundary Waters portable model from Vexilar, which is 2.5 pounds including the baterries (8-AA's) which runs the unit for a week! It reads to 400 feet, has all the bells and whistles and Max has set me up with custom scupper hole transducers for the small plastic sneak yak and also a switchable, dual cone angle "wet cell" tranny for aHunt Johnsen carbon Horizon Wave Witch. I have rolled the Witch a couple of times and the Vexilar has not missed a beat. Also, Vexilar will sell reconditioned/display units at a bargain if available. You have to click pretty deep into their site to get to them, but that is where to get them. Cabela's site lists them too. I have one that I take on travel and simply duck tape it to the rental yak and use the suction cup tranny provided. Most of the folks in CA are pretty low tech when it comes to yaks and gear-so don't always follow their lead. Push the edge I say. BTW-4200, 5200, epoxy and the like are out if you truely want the best mounting adhesive. Max specifies good ole clear GE silicone for best signal and best removability. The very best internal mounts are wet cells and those can be very accurately tuned to get the best thru-hull signal by adjusting the tranny vertically within the cell and running a diagnostic(ask Max). The cells are sealed and best filled with mineral oil and bonded to the hull with the GE Silicone adhesive. I have sat in Max Chavez' shop and seen him test and tune these units. He is a master and is willing to help us kayak anglers out. I am having him look into a side looker for kayaks. Research these sites:

http://www.vexilar.com

http://www.radarsonics.com

This board is currently the better of ALL the yak boards going.IMHO, that is; but then again I am banned from a famous So Cal "kayak fishing" site BB........

[This message has been edited by sharp1 (edited 01-03-2002).]

JONs, I REMEMBER YOU POSTING THAT YOU WERE GOING TO GET THE GARMIN 240 yourself.

I'm curious as to what sold you on this one as opposed to the 160?

As I stated before, I wanted the extra pixels and I like the variety of screen options.

DASBOOT

Sharp,

Welcome. The silicone thing is interesting. I had my epoxy mount pop off on the beach and only had silicone in my truck, so I used it. It worked just as well, giving perfect readings without interference.

Hey Sharp1,

Welcome to SOL & thanks for the info.

What is all this about tuning in the transducer?

I thought all I had to do was atach it to the hull and off I go!!

Now I gotta tune it too!!!!!!cwm13.gif

Does it make any difference how centered(bow to stern)the transducer is.

As it stands now, I'm putting mine almost directly under the monitor approx. 3.5ft from the bow.

The Navigator is 12'6".

I'm thinking a tupperware for the batt and I havn't decided yet how to mount the transducer.

You say the silicone works just fine.

I like the idea of the EZ removal.

Don't be a stranger!

DASBOOTbiggrin.gif

Sharp1,

Do you apply the silicone same as the other methods...sand the surface first, lay a bed of adheseive and wiggle the tranny down tight with some wgt on top till it cures?