Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
totallyshradical

Fishing gear in my kayak

6 posts in this topic

I have a kayak and surf casting rod but do not want to use it in my kayak. What is a good set up as far as fishing goes in a kayak. Is a spinning reel the way to go or can a conventional casting reel work. The rod i have is 10' and i was thinking something more like 7-8 ft stiff action for fishing in my kayak. I would like some recomendations for a setup please.

[ 01-04-2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: totallyshradical ]

I know I'm a broken record, but I love a 1-4 oz 9ft conventional with an avet SX. also to consider is a 7-8 ft spinner with a shimano 3500, or whatever you can afford. from the yak, fishing is a bit easier. Scott

When I'm not flyfishing I usually use a 7ft St. Croix tidemaster w/ a Stradic 2000 on it.

I have an 8ft conventional w/ a Abu 6500 I use for trolling a tube and worm or drifting larger bait.

Worked well so far...

But I do usually fly fish from the yak, just more fun!

My yak fishing consists of trolling the tube and worm, or casting to structure or feeding fish. For trolling I use a 7ft md/hvy rod with conventional reel. Casting I use a 7 foot med/lt rod with spinning reel. (Penn 975ld trolling, Shimano sustain 5000 spinning). I found that anything over 7 feet gets difficult to handle while sitting.

I use 2 spinning rods. St Croix 7' & 8'. I like the extra length because it helps when fighting a fish if you can easily turn it across the bow. Usually have the 8' set up for trolling T&W and the other in a rear rod holder w/ some kind of topwater for plugging shoreline/grass or blitzing schools. (Like the Shimano Stradics 4 or 5k)

I use an eight foot ugly stick with a penn 704 for everything. It's inexpensive (relatively) and supposed to last for ever.

That being said, I'm planning on fly fishing almost exclusively this year.

Good luck