Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Breathables and Saltwater?

7 posts in this topic

I've been told and read and heard this a number of times that once Gortex is immersed in saltwater no longer breathes. So if this is true, and I'm not saying that it is, why would one buy a dry suit made of this more expensive material. I can see how it would be an advantage for a sport like kayak fishing, since most of us don't get in the water, however what about surfing and diving?

I've been told that regular rinsings in fresh water will keep gortex breathing, such as it is anyway. Like max 10 times in the salt in between. No idea of the validity of this claim. Where's Mullet Miller on this?

Jim

The breathable stocking foot waders I have are machine washable. They recommend Ivory powder. I would think this would clean out the salt and anything else that would clog up the material. Don't know about Gortex but it seems that it would work.

I was told this, most recently, by the Proline rep. I recognize that fresh water or washing will remove the salt. I was just curious becasue non Gortex suits cost a lot less.

FWIW,

I've been advised that over the long haul a good quality Gortex suit is a better value. The waterproof qualities of coated nylon suits costing half as much are supposedly so compromised after a few years that it is cheaper to buy the Gortex in the first place which should have a life of at least 10 years with care.

I make no comment on this idea either way.

Jim

I have only worked here for Gore a little over a year. I have been wearing their products for over a decade. I still have and use my first Goretex parka for surfishing. The jacket is still very breathable. the key to keeping it is to follow the cleaning instructions to a "T". Mild soap and water wash in the washing machine. No bleaches or precleaners, washing it by itself, no other types of fabrics. Throw it in the dryer and tumble dry with out the dryer sheet. The dryer helps the membrane remain breatheable more than any thing else.

The salt will not clog the pours in the membrane, it does help to rinse down with fresh H2O after wearing in salt water though.

The best thing about hte Goretex products is the lifetime warranty. Gore is very stringent with testing products made with Goretex fabric, they put it thru testing that is state of the art as well as real world testing. Most products take years before they are offered to the public market. Therefore the best warranty in the market for waterproof breathable clothing.

It is also the longest lasting product of its type you will find. If there are problems that arrise with what ever it is you purchased, W.L Gore, not the manufacturer will repair or replace it. I've been there with a pair of Timberland boots before.

Check out there website www.goretex.com. they will answer any questions you have about any of the fabric products we make.

Just so you know, the reason I work here is because W.L Gore and Associates is consistently one of Forbes magazines top 100 companies to work for. The atmosphere and the philosophy of this company is like no other. As I stated earlier, I've used their products for over a decade, both while hunting and fishing. I have been pleased with the longevity and quality of the boots, coats,gloves, and hats that I have used. I am just making the offer to those who are interested in getting a good deal on what I feel is a superior outer wear product line.

I also own a lot of Gortex stuff. Recently a rep for Proline brought it to my attention about Gor and saltwater. That's why I posed the question. Like anything, quality is the best value in the long run. I still have many clothing items, which contain Gore-tex, that I bought a long time ago and I still use them. I've never washed my waders but it looks like they're gonna get a bath soon.