Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Blissful Sunday !

13 posts in this topic

Took my lovely wife out for her first day on the yak.

She performed like a pro!

Everything was perfect.

We hit Manorhaven about 11am.

We headed straight out.

Twenty minutes later we were in the midst of a roiling sea of bluefish!!biggrin.gif

They were all around us!

Could've reached over the side and grabbed a few by hand if I were so inclined!

Unfortunately, they were not interested in anything I had to offer.frown.gif

I was initially using a Wht/Chart clouser but switched to a big bunker pattern, then a red/white Whistler and finally a Crease Fly.

All to no avail!!!

How incredibly FRUSTRATING!!!!cwm23.gif

Which brings me to the next point, what do you gyz use to keep from drifting?

Anchor/drift sock?

And how do you have them rigged to the boat?

Took some time to practice getting back in the yak too.

Its far easier when your waders aren't filled w/water! nyuk, nyuk,nyuk!

No fish, but a wonderful day on the water getting the feel of it all.

Hope you gyz had fun this wknd.

JonS, you may be getting some postings from people about yaks.

I talked you up to a whole bunch of folks that were curious about the Cobras.

Here comes another week!!!

Later...DASBOOTicon20.gif

DAS - thanks for the the references.

Glad that you and Ramona had such a gorgeous day and that you got an opportunity to test out the clothing in the water.

Where in Manhasset did you run into the blues? The guys went to City Island again and got skunked.

The best item to slow down the drift is a drift sock but it only works for wind, not current. You will find that you rarely use and anchor but the sock gets used often. I have 6 on order and they'll be here when I get back next Monday. I simply attach it via a clip to the end of my anchor pulley and pulley it back to the stern. Very simple and works great. I always keep a sock in my hatch.

As to catching the bluefish, sometimes they'll take flies but not often. With so much bait in the water its usually whole or cut bait. When they're thick I use a single barbless large bluefish hook which is on 6" of hard wire. To this I attach a 12" wire leader. I can cast it 30-50 on my spin rod and I merely cast it out and let it sink several seconds and yank. I then let the bunker get completely eaten and the fight is on. You could use a fly rod and a sinking line and do the same.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 10-22-2001).]

JonS,

I went straight out from the boat ramp in the park.

Incoming tide.

Ran into the blues when I was a little north of that first pier on the left and out about 80yds.

I was floating around amongst the sailboats.

There were a lot of bunker floating, and swimming by with just one big bite taken out of their mid section.

Glad I don't have to live with that kind of stress!!cwm31.gif

Can I get one of those socks off of you?

I could only get a few casts in each time before I was blown away from the school.

Sound like the sock would've done the trick.

How much are they?

I have an old(in mint condition) Mitchell Garcia 300 reel and a somewhat heavy duty spin rod.

The reel has a small and large capacity spool.

Do you think I could use this outfit in the salt?

If so, what line should I put on?

I'll need some plug suggestions also.

No reason I can't branch out from the flyfishing, right!

Nice to have that wash down hose by the boat ramp too.

Hope you all had a productive wknd!

DASBOOT

DASBOOT, i use a driftsock and consider it essential for kayak flyfishing as otherwise you're running over your line too quickly to make a decent presentation. Got mine at Cabellas.

I don't get JonS' comment about it not working in current as opposed to wind. The concept is the same as you are simply dragging something over the side. Maybe he can explain, as I'm likely just missing something obvious.

It's best when the wind and current are moving along a shore you want to fish. It'll slow you down and move your boat right along as if you had a trolling motor.

As for bluefish, don't be totally discouraged. It's hit or miss on the fly with those guys. Sometimes they will take willingly, other times they'll take a plug and not the fly and sometimes they just refuse the fly. One trick that works is a hand over hand retrieve, putting the rod other your arm and bringing the fly in as fast as humanly possible. No strip-strip and pause for these beasts in a feeding frenzy.

Fished a school of big blues at the cape this year chasing a ton of bait and once I figured out that they wanted a big flashy fly, I had no problem hooking up. (Keeping them on was a different story). Then I fished some bunker schools around New Rochelle and they shunned my fly like a poor boy at a black-tie affair. Couple days later, they chomped my popper. So go figure.

That said, I specifically didn't go out to City Island this weekend with the crew because I didn't want the frustration of casting at blues that wouldn't take a fly. I went instead looking for schools of bass and didn't find them. Managed six schoolies that never got on the reel.

Hope this helps.

Hey jon, I was thinking about what you said: Do you mean, absent any wind, the driftsock and the boat will both move with the current at exactly the same speed and so new tension or drag will be created between the boat and the driftsock?

Never before been in a situation like that. Suppose it could be true. Sort of like the question of whether a pound of gold and a pound of feathers falls at the same speed.

Hey Stevel,

Thanks for the tips.

I almost always use a 2 handed retreive.

I cast w/my right and tuck the rod under my left.

I have had luck w/blues in the past.

Just this day I lost out.

Thanks for the fast retreive tip.

I will try that next time.

Where did you go looking for stripers.

I really like the sound around Prybil Bch, Dosoris Pond and Bayville.

I will check out Cabelas for the sock unless JonS has one.

I'm in Douglaston.

E

Where do you fish?

Later......Mikeicon20.gif

Stevel - that's exactly what I mean. If there isn't any wind the sock and the yak both move along with the current with the sock acting like a sail but instead of wind pushing it the current does. Socks work great in the wind however.

DAS - I have 6 Socks on order and they'll be here when I get back from Chicago. Price is less than Cabelas.

The Mitchell 300 will work for some of the fishing in the salt. If you're referring to the big blues it might get beat up pretty good. Hard to tell. Those old Mitchells are tough. The outfit I like to use for the blues is an old Daiwa 2600C loaded with 15# good quality mono and I've been thrilled with a Silstar rod that retails for less than $30! I like the shock absorbtion of the mono over braid as it tends to be a slugfest with the gators. I was getting to many breakoffs with the braid and haven't had one with the mono. The old Daiwa is a very strong reel.

For general yak fishing the Mitchell should work well for you. Put it on a rod like the Silstar above or a 7-8' rod rated app. 3/8 - 1 oz. and you'll have a nice setup. There are some great rods that retail under $50 that would be a terrific match. The Shakespear Intrepids and rods of that genre. The old Mitchells seem to handle braid well (at least my 308 does) and I'd put 20# Power Pro on it.

As to fly fishig for the blues here. I've been told that a good method is to throw the fly near an already hooked blue. Some days they're very agressive and trying to take the lure from the hooked fish. This is a perfect situation to toss a fly. There are times when they won't take anything but bunker. Sometimes chunks are the ticket but often they want the whole bunker.

DB,

You might try a chum fly, that is a lot of maribou tied on a saltwater hook. Brown, bloody chum or white/cream work in a chum slick. Another possibility and perhaps more durable would be a piece of chamois leather, light colored, tied on a hook. Works on the San Juan when the kokanee have died in Navajo lake and the flesh is being washed down the river. These are effectively no-action flies.

John

John

The rod I have is a Shakespeare "Alpha".

6'6", medium action.

It says to use 6-12lb line.

Can I put 15lb line on this?

How heavy can I go on this rod?

Haven't caught a fish on it yet.

As soon as I got it, I got involved in flyfishing.

I also have a tackle box loaded w/my old freshwater plugs.

Can these be used in salt water?

I would like to be able to use this gear.

I have already spent a small fortune just getting the yaks(2 Cobra Navigators) and the proper clothing for my lovely bride and myself.

So, what line(make & test) can I use and give me some suggestions for plugs.

God! I haven't used my spinning gear since I was a kid!!

I'm gonna give my old Mitchell 300 a shot.

If it's played right, I guess you can bring in most fish from our area.

Thanks all!!

JonS, thanks for the tips.

What do you folks think about Berkley "Trilene" mono and South Bend mono?

Are these decent lines?

How do they compare to Power Pro?

My fly outfit is an Orvis Trident 9ft/9wt tip flex rod w/large arbor Vortex reel.

I have been so enthralled w/the flyfishing, I've forgotten so much about spinning tackle.

Time to branch out!!

Thanks.........DASBOOTicon20.gif

Ok Jon, I understand, but it's hard to conceive in my head that my kayak and a piece of canvas drift at the same speed. This explains why my first go at a "driftsock'' in which I threw a bucket with holes over the side, never worked: now that I think about it, it was a windless night.

So does that then mean --- not to get too technical here --- that the most a driftsock will slow you down is to the speed of the current? Or, once you have enough wind to be dragging the sock, will it also then start to reduce the pull of the current?

Also, it would then seem that using a driftsock with a wind at just the right speed that is opposed to the current could technically keep you in the same place. Now, I'm getting practically existential.

DASBOOT: If fish the southern sound, along the bronx/westchester border. Davis Island etc. Only half a dozen small stripers Sunday morning and the same Thu. night. When you find them, they feed aggressively, but I don't our fall fish are here yet. Maybe the blow at the end of this week will bring them in finally. It's running at least a week late, I think because of warm waters up north. Heck, I wouldn't leave Rhode island and the cape if i didn't have to.

Stevel,

I imagine the faster the wind, the more effective the sock will be in stemming your trate of drift.

It also seems to make sense that yes, wind could cancel current under the right conditions.

Where do you put in on the Bronx side?

I just found a True Temper "Ocean City" 981E reel.

Carries 250yds of 20lb mono.

Big handle and star drag.Anyone familiar w/this reel?

What is the best way to get rid of the green oxidation and does the line go thru, or over, the 2 hrizontal support bars?

Thanksicon20.gif

Is this a decent reel