Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JonS

Hackensack Update

13 posts in this topic

I've got more info on the river. I spoke with some guys who know the gent who got the 40 fish last week. They've been on big bunker way up in the river between Rt. 46 and Rt. 80 bridges. They got them up to 20#s! I'm gonna investigate Friday. Joey and Surf...... may join me. I know where I'm gonna be spending time as its only 30 minutes from here and about the same distance for Joey.

I'm gonna scope it out tomorrow. Surf... is in and probably Joey. So I'll keep you guys posted.

Marksharky, its in Bergen County. Just north of the Meadowlands Sports Complex and west of the NJ Turnpike.

Marksharky, funny you should ask. I spoke with a guy who said that he got them all winter just below the power plant in Seacacus. The plant is a couple of miles north of where I fished the other day. also the powerplant fish weren't schoolies either.

This is utterly blowing my mind. Big bass and bunker in teh Hackensack river between route 46 & 80? I want to get a kayak. I have a Ranger bass boat that will do 60 mph, but it's a bit cumbersome to tow.

[This message has been edited by richg (edited 12-07-2001).]

Alright, now this is the 4th time I'm hearing some fish "stuff" about the hack- and I live in friggin' Hackensack! (I've been trying to move for months now, and all of a sudden there's fish in my hometown?!?confused.gif I'm gonna spend some time scoutin' and fishin' around this weekend (I can't believe I just said that) and I'll let you know what I find.... Bob

I read a report several years ago of a guy fishing the Hackensack by Seacacus landing a 30lb fish on a plastic shad. He was interviewed in the local paper and he said this was nothing new. I myself live about 10 min from the Hackensack and know that they have been trying to restore the river. The problem was pollution and the lack of bivalves (clam, mussels, etc). I have gone to the Hackensack in years past to net grass shrimp for bait. Oil spills and upriver road wash keeps this river from becoming something great. After you get off Rt3 on the Meadowland Pky and go toward the outlets you'll see a big cove (manmade) between some buildings....I've seen bass in the cove on more than one trip but never took advantage of this. More people on the river means more effort to clean it up. Maybe this could be a test for the north Jersey area salty fishermen to take on like the Trout Unlimited guys do....clean up steam. It takes effort but in a few years this could be something special. Thanks to the guys that started this thread making us aware of the potential right under our noses. This is the best board on the site....people are polite, very helpful, not above the next guy (as we were all beginners at one time)and everyone seems to want to share. Kudos! If I ever get my yak (act) together I would like to enjoy this aspect of the sport.

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 12-07-2001).]

I did some recon today to find launch sites in the Rt. 46 to Rt. 80 zone. It takes time and when I finally got to some safe spots to both launch and leave the truck it was to late to go out. It was after 1 PM and if I can't head west before 3 its rush hour traffic. The guy who gave us the info said that he rarely sees signs of fish. He fishes the bridges and uses a depth finder to mark fish. I did see lots of small bait and at 2 different spots I saw a large boil that could have only been a good sized fish. I will be hitting it in the near future. Weather's supposed to be fairly snotty this weekend.

Richg, Salty and anyone else. I have several kayaks so if you want to go out sometime and check this sport out just let me know. I'm only a half hour from the Hackensack. That's how several people on this board got into the sport.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 12-07-2001).]