Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

today in the Hackensack...

4 posts in this topic

I caught my first ever hackensack river striped bass... I still can't believe it! Tidewater (big flytyin' type from that forum) told me he thought there were fish in the hack back in the spring- I said he was nuts (thought they were carp). But recently I kept hearing enuff chatter to give it a look-see and sunofabich... I caught a 18" fish right next to the RR bridge in Seacaucus. Also got a bunch of 4" herring on a sabiki rig, and probably coulda done better if I wasn't stuck on the bank (at low tide too) I found a nice town park with a public ramp for you boat guys within easy reach of sveral bridges(good structure). I also saw a very suspicious discharge pipe spewing out some foamy lookin' white suds directly under the Turnpike bridge (wonder what that crap is... after all, this is Jersey ya know. Overall, I'm very surprised at the amount of life I foundsmile.gif and I'll try to explore some more (will keep you posted) JonS, did you say there was a power plant discharge in the area??? That could be very key this winter- do tell, please... thanks, seeya out there Bob

Bob,

Congrats on your bass. I am fascinated by the prospect of "looking for bass in all the wrong places" (the Hackensack, the RAritan River in Bound Brook, etc) I'd be interested in the location of the boat ramp if you wouldn't mind divulging it. The one thing that seems a bit spooky is that both you and JonS have mentioned how easy it is to get hung up there. That's in a light yak; what would it be like in a bass boat? Guess that sonar would helpt that problem. But dang, this has got me itchin to get out.

Rich- what I meant to say was that I was left stuck, standing on the bank... as in, I don't own a boatrolleyes.gif, the water itself around the brdges where I was was exceptionally deep and pretty free of debris (I think), especially for low tide. The park was directly behind fraternity rock (that big rock outcropping you see from the tpke) at the end of new county road. I found it by getting off rte 3 at the meadowlands pkwy exit, and continuing south past all the outlets (don't bring da wife on this one, you'll never make it) through a very factory/industrial looking area and even kept going to where I thought I was out of road (it really does keep going), and then turn right on new county road (an extension of county road) County road intersects with paterson plank road, the main thoroughfare through the town of seacaucus, which may be an easier route... If you want, I can copy a map and fax it to you. If ya need a fishing partner, I'm sometimes availablebiggrin.gif, and can give ya what little knowledge I have... Bob

Guys, that's where I've launched out of. Its a great facility, good ramp and parking, regular police patrols, etc. Rich, there isn't a problem for a boat in the main river. Just way inside the flat. If you stick to the main channel of the flat, which is clearly marked, you won't have a problem. As to the main river its deep as bobber said.

The powerplant is between Rt. 3 and the launch ramp and like I posted before I hear that good fish spend the winter there.

Rich, if you need someone to tag along and show you around just let me know.