Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsinbad

Paddle leash length

6 posts in this topic

I kinda have sticker shock with the cost of paddle leashes and I'm gonna make my own. I already bought the tubular nylon, 1/8" bungee, and I already have the velcro. The only thing I don't know is the length of the nylon leash when stretched. Can you guys give me a clue? Thanks.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are surfing a bungie cord is a little hairy, the yak will come firing back at you like a rocket and 1/8 inch will snap. You need coiledd urethane and only connect to bow cleat. If you are only looking for paddle security whatever goes to a comfortably placed cleat and wont interfere with you stroke or paddle storage is the right length. The cleat must be close enough to recover the paddle without moving from the seat. Thin nylon cord would acomplish the same task.

Barrell

Mine's about 4' limp and might go 6' at full extension. The tubular nylon webbing over the bungee (1/4") is fine. As long as you limit the stretch of the bungee w/ the webbing it'll never break and the webbing sees the ultimate load.

Chris

Thanks everyone for your feedback. the whole thing cost me about $12 as compared to the $20 I saw in some catalogs (before shipping). It took me four tries as I was having trouble with the bungee knot not being big enough to stop it from slipping inside my fly rod blank that I was using as a "needle" or the bungee slipping back into the webbing. This is what I ended up with: total length of tubular webbing 12' with 5' of 1/8" bungee (not too soft of a pull). Made sure I had 1' free hanging on both ends to double over and a attach clip and a slider thingy-ma-jiggy for the velcor strap for the paddle. Seems the 2:1 ratio works well. When I hooked it all up to the yak, it felt conspicuously similar to the leash JonS loaned me. Again, thanks to all for your help.

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 04-02-2002).]