Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saggy Beach Fisherman

Kayak striper fishing

6 posts in this topic

Looks like my buddy is going to ditch the boat and go for a kayak. I'm gonna stick to my 19ft'er for a lil while longer, but I was wondering if you guys could recommend a good model for him. He's looking for something that could store some gear, have a couple rod holders, and that's about it. Nothing special, nothing too expensive, he's just getting into it. Thanks a lot, hope you guys are slaying the bass cuz at the moment I'm not~ confused.gif

I guess the 1st question I have is where does he plan to fish ? sounds like you want bass but what areas do you plan to target ? Also give an idea as to your friends build - big, small, tall, heavy ?? etc .....

He's going to be fishing the areas around uppper buzzards bay, phinney's harbor, mostly calm little bays, estuaries etc. He wants big bass, but to tell you the truth I'm pretty sure he's going to just continue to catch the lil' schoolies that he's been catching all along. Not tall, bout 5 foot 10ish, medium build maybe 180 pounds or so. Thanks a lot for your help

I like my Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 to fish from but there are plenty out there for him to look over. You'll get everyone's idea but he really should head out and check em out himself. My friends over on the Cape really like the WS Ride. A little slow to paddle but the thing is a "rock"...very stable and one guy has a bait tank in his for holding herring and pogies. Lots of guys up your way like the Pungo but I prefer a sit on top kayak myself. The other night we fished where no boats could go or shore fishermen would dare to cast and there were some really nice fish ...we had them all to ourselves. A kayak is a good way to fish sometimes.

I'm roughly the same size and fish the North Shore Long Island Bays mainly for stripers & blues. Currently have a Tarpon 140 and love it. Very stable - can head out into the sound or launch from beach on the South shore - plenty of cockpit space and nice tankwell for additional storage in the back. I have mine rigged up w/ 3 Ram rod holders - 1 in front and 2 behind. I troll from the holder in front and use the rear Rams just 2 hold my 2nd rod. Also would recommend he get a rudder - much easier control.