Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joev

11/02 Report

12 posts in this topic

Well hit Milford at 530 am tons of bunker inside harbor.Fished inside livelining did not get anything then decided to try out front 2nd red can .I landed 3 but had 9 fish on 9 live bunker.It was some work though paddling back and forth.Hot tip if there is nothing on them inside go outside.Also hit Pine Island nadda.Then went to Napatree ,got there took out binocs and 5 boats with birds on point.Jump into yak paddle into 20-25 mph winds 2 ft waves get there no birds 1 boat.I beached yak then threw everything I had for 2 hours nadda.Proceeded back to beached yak to dicover 2 ft waves were know 3 with a 4 every now and then.So today I learned how to surf with big waves real tricky lots of work.Got soaked even with the gore tex on.Still a good day on the water.

DougieV and I plan on being at Gulf Beach at 530 am on sunday unless we here woodmount is the place to be.

joev

Westhaven Dave ,I tryed to find fire house (is it the one across the beach just south of jimmies)if ya see this could you post directions I will stop by sunday.I stopped at that one but did not see your car.It was around 11 am.I will try on sunday if you are there.

joev

All you yakkers should try to get in on this fishing b4 its gone.Short paddle lots of fun smile.gifwe will be there sunday am 530.If ya need help getting there just post will be glad to help.

joev

Joe, I ended up with an infection in my ear I will be at the station on ocean avenue, behind the little green with the flagpole sat. and sun. Snuck out today to see arnie and another guy in a canoe surround a pod. There are blues just about everywhere as long as you have bait. May get up early and surf cast sat. if the wind stops. Dave

Joe v,

ended up staying at Watch Hil last night- took awhile to find fish, but had a lot of action for the last hour.

I am truely convinced that that stripers do not like to feed during a full moon. When the moon was shining bright last night, they refused everything, including some hard working eels. When the clouds covered the moon, it was like feeding time at Thanksgiving! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Anyways, picked up 2 bass- 30" & 31" and a blue in the 15# range. Had hooked up a ton of other times but between a ROUGH surf with rocks and a mono leader and sharp teeth.....Oh well, excuses, excuses, excuses. FYI, A seal out at the light house point forced us to try in the eastern cove area and that is where all the fish were.

Joe v- looking forward to tomorrow! I have an ides on the bait thing. Will we be able to net the bunker?

Jim W- are you intendin on joining us? It would be great to do the three stoogis show again! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Joev, interested in the Sunday AM trip. Can you give me a little more information? What time and where? Also what is needed in the way of terminal tackle? Snag a bunker and toss it back out? Thanks in advance. Scott

Scott O, Do a mapquest driving directions to Gulf st in Milford once on Gulf st. You will pass over a small bridge.Parking lot on right over looking harbor ,jetty and LI sound you cant miss it.Tackle should include snag hooks and steel leaders I like the long ones 24-36 inches .Bring your normal salt stuff and a HD rod if ya got one those blues are brutes. Hopefully we will get a good report for today.Just watch the board.

joev

JoeV, talked with Bcall and we're coming over in the morning. We'll leave the catskills about 3am and meet you about 5:30 ish. Monday looks like lousy weather, at least here, and this may be our last trip of the season. Have all as you describe and will come with high hopes and min expectations. Who else will be there? JonS? Anybody else? ScottO

Scott ,DougieV and I will be there as for everybody else dont know.Jons is yakking Jersey I believe.I tried to get ahold of kayakjoe .I think JimW will be there.Hey Arnie hope you go,whats a couple more days in dog housebiggrin.gif its a long winter.There might be a few SOL guys on the beach.I will see you guys there.We wait 15 min. grace period then launch.Dont worry its a very small harbor u cant miss us.I have a white w/gray lowers Dodge Ram pickup. Doug has a Chevy pickup thats reddish maroon color.

joev

joev - How were the waves with the open cockpit? Were they coming over the side? You're braver than I am and people think I'm crazy. That's why I paddle an SOT, cause you can't predict the weather. I never get soaked or wet unless I forget to cinch down my sleeves like at the fling (Memory lapse).

Have a blast Sunday guys.

I did hit Jersey Saturday but it was mostly to take surfacetension out to check out yak fishing. We headed out around noon. He got his first yak striper and I didn't bring the camera out frown.gif so I didn't document it. There was a neat spot with lots of old pilings near a point. A local told us they've been getting some good fish there. After a couple hours the wind came up NW. We had to go and ended up leaving at dead low. Dragging the FnD back up the now trickle of a creek was hard. The Nav was childs play. there was a few guys there when we got out and asked lots of questions. One of them wanted to buy the FnD off me on the spot. It was funn. He had the money on him. I'm going to look around to find one. I have one in inventory but I paid full price for it so I won't deal it. He was local and told me of some good fishing in one of the creeks that I've been meaning to hit. Going to check best access.

ScottO - glad that you guys were hooking up with joev and crew today, cause Monday doesn't look good. Don't hang up the kayaks just yet though. The bass haven't even started in the western sound. Its gonna turn on any day now. There's a lot of fishing left.

All the way home Bcall/Santiago and I talked about this not being our last trip of the year. We'll keep in touch and be back down on a Monday again. ScottO

Final tally for Milford-

new yorkers, Scott & Brian- 3 or 4, 10 to 12 lbers (blues)

connecticuters, Joe & Doug - 1 220 to 250 lber (deer, eight point buck)

won't count the bunker although that was fun,

congrads new yorkers HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif