Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug

Why I got into yak fishing II

3 posts in this topic

What a week.FYI the great south bay from Jones to F.I. inlet is loaded with bass.Early in the week I decided to start exploring the small Islands in the bay even though I knew my spots held fish(more fish over 30" then under)I was fortunate enough to find even more good spots that you cannot get to from land, and boats would never even try to beach.To boot I launched at the end of my block in amityville and marked a couple of deep holes/channels and proceeded to catch and raise bass after bass along the drop offs(3'-17')All good sized fish.My point is, the reason I got the yak in the first place was to get to new spots.And what I found myself doing was going back to the same old spots time and again.I was telling Joey about this and he made the valid point.(CATCHING 1 FISH IN A NEW SPOT IS WORTH 2 IN AN OLD ONE)biggrin.gif

Doug M

Doug, couldn't agree with you more. That's what makes yak fishing so great. Ok, sometimes you just got to go to that old spot cause you need a fix of fish. But, nothing beats the satisfaction of finding out what's behind the next bend, of perching up on a place you know few if any people have been before, and of figuring out a new place where fish could be hiding. Hopefully Joey knows how to post the pic of me he took the other day. It was strictly a yak spot in the most unlikely of places. What's more, there's about 10 more trips worth of exploring to do there.

The kayaker's creed: To boldy go where no motor boat has gone before!

Sheesh, Doug, I've got to stop yaksurfing and do more yakfishing. Sounds like you're really getting some nice fish!

btw, I went out yesterday, 1'-2' waves, and harassed the boardies at Lincoln. One dude eased up to me and said, ``Hey, does that thing ding like a surfboard?'' Then he smirked and cut me off on the next wave. Way fun!