Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marksharky

What to do on a Tuesday in August

3 posts in this topic

Marky,

Did the ocean the last couple of days in Lavalette. Very very slow. One day had a bunch of small blues with lots of birds, but couldn't find anything else.

Still getting the hang of the yak in the surf and got beat up pretty good. Snapped a rod in half when a better fish took me too close to the surf zone. Note to self...never get too close to surf zone when things are not buckled down. Got rolled by a breaker, my line got wrapped around the kayak and paddle, my rod snapped in half and I got real pissed at myself. The drift was nasty and fast, and I just wasn't careful enough...and only some small blues to show for it.

I actually plugged the surf a little at night and picked up a couple of small fluke on jigs and flies, but couldn't buy a fish on fresh peanut bunker.

If I were you, I'd paddle around some back bay area, drift for fluke or maybe even go crabbing out of the yak...I'm really itching to try it. Or if you're like me, practice your surf entries/exits!

ScottO and I hit the fresh today and got around 20 fish. I got 3 very nice smallies, several large mouths and a very respectable pickerel and an overly ambiscous bluegill.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 08-13-2002).]