Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chesapeake Kayaker

make the best out of the worst

3 posts in this topic

So new to the sport,I don't even have my kayak yet. Man do I have a lot to learn!! Let me tell you about my trip Sat, July 16, I had the bright idea to take my friend's 10' Old Town kruzzer to Kiptopeke State Park, in the lower Chesapeake Bay, thought I would do some flounder fishing by the ships. Well, I got there put my poles and stuff in the yak and started to drag it to the beach.Man was it chopy. I sat there for a min thinking I would call it a day and go home,not wanting to get killed my first trip. Then I decided Why not, work all week only one day to fish, let's do this. So I started paddling out to what seemed to be two foot swells, from the beach... Thirty seconds into my trip two foot turned to four foot, my ten foot yak shrunk to four feet and I was over loaded by 200lbs. I decided to keep going, paddling out 150yds. came to the end of the pier and headed east. Only to fight my monster swells for the first time, accompanied by strong currents. Quickly I relized that I am not prepared for this, I turned around, which was not easy and paddled back to the beach as fast as a could. As I said, I have a lot to learn... Instead of calling it a day, I took the opportunity to use the conditions to play in my yak... without my gear. Strongly recommend to get a few paddles in, becoming familiar with the conditions, before loading your yak to go fishing.

Always check your local marine forcast online.

Then figure out which wind directions are favorable or unfavorable. I fish Raritan Bay with my yak and I would not leave land without an anchor. You can anchor up to fish certain spots and it will give you a "rest" when you are paddling back into the wind or current.Keep sharp knife handy in case anchor gets hung up. Don't forget in the spring you will need cold water protection.

Good luck!