Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharp1

Kuestions for the East Koast Kayak Krowd

12 posts in this topic

I just realized a major difference in the kayak bunch here on SOL and the fish-yakers scattered about on 1/2 dozen kayak angling sites in California. Maybe I am wrong in assuming this, so I'll ask all of you.

Q: There are 40-50 and growing fling attendees and even a lot more posters on SOL-and who knows how many lurkers. That's quite a community! How come none of you have personal web pages with kayak content? I never see links to them anyways. Is it because this BBS is so feature laden that it is not necessary to have your own cyberspace? That's a guess.

You folks have something special going and hats-off to Tim S and JonS for the work they do to keep it all going and growing.

The rest of SOL ain't too shabby eithericon14.gif

Sharp1

So Cal-land of personal web pages galore

SHARP 1 to possibly give you an answer to your question you have to understand how the Tri-State(N.J,N.Y&Conn.)area people are. I've been to Florida,Texas and California where you have big kayaking web-sites. The people that live in those states are laid back and take things real slow and easy. Here in the tri-state area its more of a fast pace life and for a lot of us a more stressful life. I'm sure you can tell a New Yorker when we come to your side of the coast. Aren't we always on the move? Everybody is running from here to there. I guess most of us here just don't have the time. We would rather be fishing just to get away from it all.

I agree with flyrodder and also SOL is a pretty comfortable place for us. It isn't perfect, but nothing is, but its become the place where we can communicate and learn more about the sport and one another.

I think it's the site and the people here. I know that SOL is directly responsible for me having a kayak. I've been interested in them since 98-99 when I first really became aware of their uses but really never grasped all of what it can add to one's fishing experience until getting into the finely run forum here.

I love this place and how it runs. There is no equal among message boards ANYWHERE, at least not that I have found...and on more than just fishing related topics. It is truly a special place.

ummm...YEAH!!, what Doug said: same for having one because of SOL. SOL and JimDE have even gotten me to a new level for powered yaks. I'll be getting a Mokai soon. No place like SOL/ please support it in return by contributing.

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Sharpy,

Since I'm new to the sport, I considered having a site that would track my experiences and learning curve from the standpoint of a novice.

It is still a possibility.

However, as mentioned before, a good site requires constant upkeep to keep it vibrant and worthwhile and I really don't have the time to devote to such an endeavor.

SOL is such an incredible hotbed of knowledge & comeraderie that I think any attempts by me to add another site to the mix would pale in comparison.

Besides, with only X amount of free time, it has to be split amongst all the other activities...fishing, fly tying, guitar playing, Harley riding AND spending time with my lovely bride, to name a few!!!

I'm happy just the way things are!biggrin.gif

Personal page, heck I'm lucky I even know how to turn this machine on. Besides, why try an improve on this great site. I don't figure you're going to find any better.

Hmmm, tough one, should spend half my weekends setting up and maintaining a website or check SOL and get on some fish asap? smile.gif Thanks again to TimS, JonS and all the helpful contributors. Truthfully, when I have an extra minute it's looking the other greta forums here. You ever see the plugs some of these guys are making?

I think the differences are the standard East Coast/ West Coast Phenomenon. Too busy to worry about anything not related to making money vs. too vain not to worry about how I look while I'm making all the money.

Sounds like a Town Tavern post.

I only know of one guy that has a web site for himself and it isn't fishing related. SOL is fine with me, I can update what has been happening here and get some great feedback. It's all good here! We just need a picture that represents the feeling of the board but that's coming soon.

Interesting responses. I get the sense that the Easterner's are an educated lot, and still, although very capable of constructing personal hobby pages, they seem to rather be busy doing their routines. I think S-II is close to the truth. How funny. In CA every other soul has a personal card, web site, custom tees and hand pin striped cars and surf boards, or custom made fishing rods with their names on it.

Also, because SOL does have so many features, and allows posting images for free, that fills the need "in a sharing a experience" sense. Being raised in the east and then immigrating to the west, I see both sides.

I also lived in the inter mountain west for years. Now there you'll find a different breed of sportsman yet. And like the East, it seems that anywhere where it is cold enough to die during the winters, the demeanor is far more seriuos compared to the terrarium of mankind know as Southern California. Ah So CAl-life in a bottle in the valley of the car. Thanks.

S1