Dry Tortuga Island

Just got back from a couple weeks in the keys and although Ive been there many times we went down to key west and took our first trip out to dry tortuga. Two big,fast powered catamarans run daily 140 mile round trips out to this federal park. What I found out when we got there however is this has to be the ultimate place to have a kayak. The federal goverment allows camping on the island for $3 a night. The "fast cat" told us on the ride out that they would have brought our kayaks and camping gear out to the island for no extra charge. We had flown down so we didnt have our gear. Since they go every day for sunbathing and snorkling trips they will drop you off one day and bring you back when your food and water run out on another day.

The reefs were alive and colorfull. No algae problems out there. Smaller island are visible off in the distance which you can go visit on day trips. All camping must be on the main island. You must be entirely self sufficent the rangers who live on the island dont give you water and ice if you run out. Fish every where every color ,species, and size you could imagine. Water colors were spectacular. Billfish probably sails could be seen out in deep water probing the surface. Lobster in every nook and cranny. Even though it is 70 miles out a florida license is required. The Islands history as a pre civil war fort are very intresting. Do a google to see pics and learn more.

I am going back next year with all my gear.This post is a heads up to anyone heading down to Fla. to consider bringing your yak out to the Totugas.

Barrell

BARRELL

They may have changed the regs but many years ago Fishing was permitted but the taking of spiny lobster was a definite no no in federal parks in Florida.

What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin (1819-1900)

There are two large "over 100 feet Cat boats thast run out there every day at 8am. We went with the "fast cat" A buffet lunch ,snacks,and drinks were included for $110 round trip. The boat goes over 35 miles an hour and gets you there in two hours. I beleive it leaves the island at about 330 and returns you to the harbor at 530. We called ahead and made reservations. There was room on the boat but if I was bringing kayaks and camping gear I would definatly give them a heads up and get there two hours early so they could stow the yaks and gear.

Do a google on dry totuga and go to the national parks website.

Barrell

BARRELL

Goin Back!!!!!Sooner than I thought,,Wife and I were thinking about Cancun the end of feb. but air miles didnt work out. So flight is booked for Key West feb 7-14. Hobie dealer in town will rent us a couple island cruisers for 4 days at the fort. Looking through Siera outdoors sale catolog right now need a bigger tent and another sleeping pad. Alchohol stove would be nice also.

Barrell

BARRELL

Have had a frustrating time trying to rent 2 kayaks in key west to take out to the island.Hobie dealer in Key west wasnt intrested in helping me out. Another outfitter wanted to charge me more to use his two ocean kayaks then I can buy them for.I called Stearns out of frustration to order a couple of inflatable kayaks for the trip and when I told them what I was doing they offered to give me the two yaks for free. They shipped them today to my hotel in key west. They only ask that I give them pictures and a report on the yaks performance. What a nice company!!

Barrell

Barrell

BARRELL