Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John M

Knowing your limitations

9 posts in this topic

The thread abtou too many close calls got me thinking alittle. I think the key is to use your head. To know where your limits are. Goign out without a PFD not smart. Goign into place you cant handle again not smart.

Sunday I made my maiden voyage in my Tarpon. Its a new yak to me and I havent been paddling for a long time so I tend to be alittle conservative. We were in a spot and paddling in a building swell. I didnt feel comfortable in the swell so I turned around and went back to the sheltered water. I am sure I could have paddled the swell, and in time I am sure I iwll feel more comfortable. I know I was more comfortable inthe tarpon by the end of the day than I was when I first launched.

My point is know your limits and stay within them and as you have more time onthe water you limits will expand. A long time ago my dad told me no fish was worth dying for....he is right about that.

------------------

John M

johnm@stripersonline.com

John, good point, common sense isn't always the easiest thing to listen to. Especially from yourself. I didn't get out enough to become proficient with it so right now I'm pounding the beach. Would I like to launch and get out beyond the bar. Sure would, but I had a tough time beach launching on an incoming and the shoulder isn't right yet either. So I not allowing myself to use it until I get confident enough to really do it. Not just think I can. I swear by practice and if I can't do it there I don't try it. I don't wanna be a sat.

------------------

SOL #669

That's probably what's been keeping me off the water in my yak...I just don't feel it's worth it to me to be out in the open water just to catch a fish.

I'm going to buy myself a small boat 13-15 foot whaler to tool around in the rivers and shallow coastal waters...stable enough..but small enough to fish the skinny water. Still need to be very cautious...but for me it's a more stable platform.

Everyone please be safe out there.

------------------

Bow to the Cow---Tight Lines and Screaming Drags!!!

Member #1666

PEACE OUT!!!

Luke, you should yak in sheltered water until you feel comfortable enough to handle more. A small boat has limitations as well, but a kayak will never run out of gas. Yakking is far more fun than boating, more flexible (put-in/take-out, transportation), and less smelly. Your cardiologist will thank you!

Flounder

John, excellent point but usually these horror stories happen due to the unexpected. A fish pulling the wrong way, a rogue wave, a wake, or like in the DE bay rough conditions come up quickly and unexpected at times. As it is happening everyone surely knows that they are beyond their limitations but unfortunately for some it is the unexpected that they learn their final lesson from.

One can't be too prepared.

There's a time and place to test your limits, it's a big part of the fun of kayaking and kayak fishing for me. Doesn't mean I'm reckless. Reckless is not practising, not learning, not paying attention to the water or weather, not appreciating possible consequences. Don't be afraid but have a healthy respect for what you are doing, these little boats are amazingly seaworthy.

Can't plan for everything and I refuse to carry flares in my pocket but Jim W's comments hit home, have respect for the conditons and know you limits. This can go back and forth and back and forth and still people are not going to pay attention to the most basic of safety concerns....wear a PFD.

------------------

[This message has been edited by saltyh2ofly (edited 10-23-2002).]

This is not the time of year to test limits..maybe not even to build new skills. That's what july and august are for... the water's warm the weather mild and the conditions more forgiving. For now, pick your spots, stay inshore and pick up some big fish...all possible these days within practically a stones throw from help.

Text

------------------