Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DASBOOT

Yak storage

8 posts in this topic

After hearing some of you mention that your yaks are "up on blocks" or " in the garage rafters" for the winter, I got to wondering about the proper way to position the yak for long periods (3 months plus).

I have 2 Cobra Navigators which are both on their side leaning against each other against a canvas covered fence in a heated garage.

There is nothing on top of them to add any downward pressure.

JonS, you know my situation.

Is there any warpage potential from not laying them flat?

They are light enough so I can't see how there would be a problem, but what do I know???

DASBOOT

I always stored my canoes upside down on the gunwales on sawhorses or the garage rafters. If on sawhorses outside, I'd tie down the bow and stern to a tent stake in the ground to keep a gust of wind from blowing the canoe off the horses. I also have two "U"s made of three pieces each of 2x4 pressure treated hanging under my deck that I used to use for the canoe. (I've sold the canoe since getting the yak). Now I just store the yak inside on the garage rafters upside down, with the cockpit between two rafters and the flat part resting on the rafters. It is better off being inside and not exposed to the sunlight and elements, not to mention possible theft. I've stored it this way for the last five years or so without any noticable detrimental effects.

How about hanging the yak from the front and back up in the rafters of my garage ( I use the carrying hands on nails)? Is this a suitable way to store or does it put too much pressure on the center of my yak?

Dick

Dick,

I have no scientific evidence to back me up, butI would think there would be some undue pressure at the mid points with the set-up you described.

I like the idea of as much hull being supported as possible!

My 2 cents!

DASBOOT

That's what I was thinking, but they are very lite and I don't have anything stored ontop of um'. Just wanted to get some feedback on someone who knew. I still haven't rigged up a good storage system yet. One of the many "projects" I have to work on. I hate projects that done envolve fishing.smile.gif

I am thinking about turning it upside down in the yard, covering it with all the snow I have to shovel for insulation, and let my kids to play on it with there sleds cwm27.gif

If you can't tell guys I am in a party mood smile.gif Happy new year!

------------------

39761156 Fresh air-clean water-Big fish