Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob L

Another newbie question

23 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie looking to purchase a Kayak. I want to start with a twin so I can enjoy the sport with my 9 year old daughter. She can't join me on the beach at night so I thought this would be a good way to spend time together. I took her on a Back Bay kayak tour at Hilton Head last year and we had a great time. I think we will do more cruising than fishing to start. I'll be using it mainly behind IBSP and Barnegat Bay. I tried a search and didn't find much about twin yaks. Any suggestions on what type and which manufacturers to look at would be great. Thanks in advance.

Bob

My general advice on double yaks is "forget about it". However, this usually applies to couples that think they want to paddle together. They just don't realize that "together" need not mean "attached" and that they will be infinitely happier in two boats.

Now, in your situation you may have a good reason to bring her along on your boat. If so, I'd start with the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two which is a nice stable platform and can be paddled solo by placing the seat amidships. You might look at some of the partially decked boats like the Loon (by ??) but the seating arrangement won't be as spacious.

On the other hand, a nine year old (who always wears a lifejacket, right?) should be perfectly able to paddle on her own. You'll almost certainly have to slow down to her pace, but the sense of freedom and independence that it will engender is priceless. icon14.gif

Best of luck,

Chris

Tandems are not really suited for being your"first" kayak. It can be difficult in itself for some to learn the subtleties of paddling without trying to keep in sync, strong side paddling corrections etc. The pressure of "getting it right" "paddling when I say" has put many a youngster(and spouses) out of paddling for good. With an experienced paddler a tandem can be a lot of fun. My wife likes the exercise, I like to fish. She has no problem keeping me in the"zone" without much help from myself in the front. She would never be this good if her first boat hadn't been a single. If you find you truly enjoy paddling your fleet will grow. We have four and I still "need" another. Just another 2 cent opinion. You'll have a ball regardless.

Started my kid at 8 years old in an inexpensive and stable little Keowee on his own. He had a blast, and eventually graduated to larger faster yaks (now 8 years later)

Never underestimate kid power!

--OJ

Let me add that a Cobra Fish&Dive can accommodate you and the 9 year old. The jump seat in front faces aft. I set up a back band seat and seat cushion for my 9 year old Daughter and she was very comfy fishing there. The F&D is stable and you can watch FWD as the kid watches Aft as you fish. Then on the days when you are solo, you have a managable single; albeit a tub of a kayakwink.gif. Can't beat it for a first kayak and as a sometimes double. I actually loaded the wife and kid on it and paddled a few miles to an island one time with all three of us on there. It helps if there are two paddles going, but with a 600 pound payload, this kayak will handle it. Just another option for you to consider.

I have been considering getting one kayak for each of us but I thought that might throw the budget. I think my wife might have an opinion if a fleet appears in the backyard! I like the idea of the Cobra Fish and Dive but it doesn't look like the second person can paddle. It might still be a start to get my daughter on the water and interested in the sport. I try to go out a demo some in the next few weeks. Thanks for all the help.

Bob

I believe Ocean Kayak makes a kids boat, proportioned for a child in the $250 class range. Again, two boats is always better, and if one isn't used, can almost guarentee it's going to sell for what you bought for. Scott

Tried the tandem route w/ my wife, almost had to get a divorce lawyer. Sold it got two yaks, much, much better and a whole lot cheaper than a lawyer. Your daughter probably won't sue you but if you can swing it get her her own. I'll bet you'll both be happier for it!

Bag the tandem idea!!! I did that in Club Med with my wife and it was such a horrible experience. I coundn't waith to get back, but she thought it was just fine... cause I did all the paddling! The next time, we got two solos and I was much happier biggrin.gif For her, she washed up on the beach behind me about a quarter mile back or so and guess who had to get out and walk both kayaks back to the beach house frown.gif

Tough question. Issues are weather and fatigue.

If you have a 9 yr old you could very easily have a problem with wind blowing her all over the place if she's in her own kayak. I have personal experience having to retreive a 9 year old being blown across Albemarle (?) Sound on only a 6-7 knot wind. Weak/inexperienced paddlers are much more subject to conditions that you or I wouldn't give a second thought. The Malibu II might be a good solution. You'll trade some speed but you can certainly fish it solo. If you were fishing with your wife I would get two boats.

You can tether a second boat to yours in an emergency. I've had to do that with younger paddlers. They tend to run out of gas a lots sooner than you will. That can happen when you still have a long way to go to get back home. You'll wish you had a tandem on days like that.

Yeah, I once had my daughter burn out 2 miles into a 11 mile susky float trip. I hooked up a rope and towed her 9 miles. I didnt mind since it was my fault taking the whole family on such a trip. Everytime I looked back though she was sitting there with the paddle across her lap smiling and enjoying the ride. I would tell her to help out and paddle but You know the result.

Tandems have their purpose if you have the time bring her somewhere to demo a old towne cricket and then put her in a tandem with you, after 20 minutes you will know which route to take. Just e-mail me if I can help ya.

Barrell

I had the same feeling regarding her endurance. I want to ease her into it and have her enjoy the sport. If we get to fish that's an extra bonus. I'll go out and demo some tandem models and see how they feel. Anyone know where I can get a used malibu? Thanks for all the help.

Bob, its a tough time of year to find a used yak. A new Malibu isn't that much anyway. Check the east coast CKF board. Also check the other non fishing kayak boards. A search should provide a few sites. Good luck.

BobL,

I had good luck in the winter finding good deals on bith new and used boats. Many of the rental shops were still unloading last seasons boats as they receive shipments for this year. They should be a good place to try as the Malibu 2 is a popular rental boat.

Chris