Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltatrix

SOT warm/dry feet

9 posts in this topic

I fish alot in the ocean and leave the beach feeling like an onion (a very expensive one at that) what with all the capilenes, wet suit and wind protection I wear. I stay dry and warm everywhere but my feet. Presently I wear a Seal Skinz inner sock (an expensive way to keep your feet wet), under a neoprene sock, under some NRS neoprene booties. The ensemble gets and stays wet (OK it's a wet suit) and eventually the feet get cold. Any suggestions for warm feet?

Salt... welcome to the site. Being wet is the reason why I don't wear a wetsuit. I don't like being wet. What I, and a lot of others wear, is a pair of breathable stockingfoot waders and a breathable dry top. It works like a 2 piece dry suit and you're DRY. I use modern breathable fabrics underneath and its great.

I agree 100 % with Jon.If your wear a WET suit you will be wet.Waders dont sound right but they work excellent.I wear waders and a goretex jacket works for me.Only time I get wet is when wind is blowing 20 and water gets in around neck from paddle drippings.Try it you wont go back.If its warm out I just wear shorts.

Joev

I have used waders and wet suits. I have a fear of crashing surf in the baggy waders. I always worry about going swimming with any thing baggy or bulky on. Has anyone had any experience rolling thru the waves with anything but a wet suit?

Those concerns aside, closed cell neoprene (as in neoprene waders) with full feet keep me really warm in the SOT even in 40 degree water. I use a Cabelas waist high wader which I can wear over a shorty wetsuit or poly thermal underwear. I wear Neoprene booties over the feet. I haven't been cold yet in that set-up.

Santiago,

If you go back through past post from last month or so, you will see my sorry experience w/boot foot waders in"Maiden Voyage".

I have since switched to stocking foot waders and NRS Paddle shoes and I'm dry & warm.

I've never worn a wet suit.

I wasn't aware that you got wet in them.

I thought they kept you dry.

Live & learn!

DASBOOT

DAS,

Wow, what a story. Glad the Brothers were there to meet you and not the angels.

I've never worn boot foot waders. How did that contribute to the soaking? I think the looser fitting waders are more of a risk than the neoprene but I don't want to test the theory. I've swam home behind kayaks before but always in warm water after overextending my surfing skills.

OK - the consensus seems to be stockingfoot waders. I got the picture from the Cabela's catalog. So I wear them over some capilene long underwear, with a good quality fleece overtop, all under a NRS Black Rock paddling jacket. All warm and snuggly. But am I water tight? Like Santiago, I yak alot in the surf, sometime unintentionlly separated from my kayak. Water seeping into the stockingfeet worries me. Anybody take a swim in these?

Neoprene waders are definately more form fitting than breathables and you may wish to use them in cold weather surf situations. I do have a paair of both them and breathables. They're very inexpensive these days. Last time checked you could get the Proline seconds up at the Marshal Creek Flea Market for $35 and bootfoots for $40. I've got a pair of Streamlines as a backup that I've had over a decade. My White Rivers have a very close fit for a breathable. They are quite snug but not to much. Some breathables are incredibly baggy. I tried on a pair of Orvis a few years back and I had room for another person in there with me. Shop around.

Santiago & Salt,

The problem was not having adequate protection from water on my torso.

The water just poured into the boot feet and tok me down.

I have since gotten the stockingfeet and NRS Paddle Jkt and dumped myself for practice.

I was completely dry.

I can only surmise that the water bleeds out of the stocking feet as opposed to the boots acting like buckets to keep the water in, not only filling up your feet but the legs as well.

When I finally got out of the water,my wader legs were completely filled w/water.

This also prevented me from getting my legs up to remount the yak.

Breathable waders,watertight top!!

GOOD combination!!

DASBOOT