Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJCoastFlyFish

yakin in the cold weather of november

9 posts in this topic

I got my yak and I am getting depressed because each day that goes by that water temperature is getting one more step to frigid freezing. So what do you suggest I get for kayaking fishing in cold weather. I don't think my waders will work but a wetsuit will. Does anyone have any suggests for a low priced wet suit for yaking in water 50 degrees and even below sometimes.

Yea, in the cold, you don't wanna be sittin' on top of anything! You'd much rather be sittin' in something....if you can't sit in yer yak, you might wanna sit in yer house and stay warm! wink.gif

As it gets cooler...I'm that much more thankful I'll be sittin' in a sit in yak...I'd hate to miss out on all them calm November fishing trips!

TimS

Tim, ya wimp wink.gif

Seriously, I have a sit on top and a 4/3 Oneil wetsuit does me fine when it gets chilly. I usually throw my jacket overtop for some windproofing in the chest area, and a little extra insulation for where I don't get wet (a dry wetsuit doesn't work as well as a wet one - if that makes any sense). You can go one step further and get a drysuit, but that gets pricey.

If you plan to do a lot of paddling and casting, I'd suggest a wetsuit designed for a surfer. They have different cuts and thinner panels in the arms and shoulders to allow surfers to paddle easier.

And don't forget to get the thickest boots you can, your feet will be the first thing to get cold that time of year.

------------------

John B

mako@bellatlantic.net

John B

Back in the dark ages when i use to dive we would put an extra piece of wet suit material, 1/4 inch, on our chest and it would keep us warm as toast.

But that was say 35 -38 yrs ago wink.gif Wooow time flys when your haven fun biggrin.gif

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Yeah Walt... It surely flies, I can't get into my uniform,but I can still zip up my wet suit. If you folks yak/fish now it's time to hit the little bays and rivers in the pine barrens . The water is about 10 degrees warmer then the surf.

Jon Ol'Sport...As the water in the Pine Barrons is acidic, the only game in town is pickerel. My lure(s) of choice are 28 year old ,balsa,floating, Rapala's...in orange/pink.These are retrieved as a shallow down runner ,as the water depth averages about 2 feet.I use the 2-3/4" and 3-1/2" range with one treble hook on the tail...I removed the middle hook ,do to weeds,etc..and put on a split shot up front to balance things out.The magic hour appears to be the last 45 minutes before sunset.They hit (or appear to) on the first splash of the lure that edges into the river bend having the fastest current and deepest bank.I use a Garcia 5 star rod(before your time) with a (again BYT) 408 reel with 6LB test. I try for a mid-week day as the tourest crowd is not renting canoes and I don't run into a BOY SCOUT troop(God bless'em) banging their paddles along the sides of the Grummans. Fall fish'en is great with the rainbow of colors among the squirrels,chipmunks, muskrats and ducks. I have had the largest blue cranes sport their wing spans ,inches above my head ,warning me, in a quiet and gentle manner, of their pre-flight nesting ground beyound the next bend.It all works well with the advent of the cell phone,as my Wife is pulling the slots at AC and I call her for my ETA-pick up.My only concern is with potential Ticks and signs that read 'IF YOU ARE PREGNANT DON'T EAT THE FISH'

Olmanac - thanks for the info. The gear you refer to isn't BMT because I've got some of it. My favorite freshwater reel is my 308 which was purchased as a teen when the Beatles were still together. Before that I had a 304 which was purchased at the decades start. The 304 was responsible for my loosing a very large yellow perch so upon buying a new 300 I took a hammer to it. I use to fish rebels and still have a few. I even have my blue Garcia Conolon rod. It isn't used anymore but I still have it.