Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
westhavendave

Another Milford Slaughter

5 posts in this topic

Stopped by the mouth of Milford harbor for lunch just in time to see one of those bluefish blitzes that makes your jaw drop. The large bunker came out out of the harbor and the choppers had a field day. I saw a pod get chased in about 2' of water right through some surfcasters legs. Came back 2 hrs. later with the yak. I stayed outside the surfcasters and trolled a floating plug. picked up 4 all between 10-15 lbs. I have to get a gaff or lip grip, they were swallowing the plugs and I had to paddle to shallow water just to release them. Guys casting chunks into the channel outfished the plug guys 10 to 1. The bunker are still in the harbor.I will be there tommorow afternoon.Red OK SOT Dave

Dave,

Yahoo. Sounds like fun. How big a plug were you using? Was it a popper or a swimmer? I keep trying to find something they'll hit instead of the real McCoy, with mixed results. My theory is that some days they're excited enough to hit anything that moves; other days they only want the real thing. Any smaller bait around? Small bait in Bridgeport was pretty thick Monday, mixed in with big bunker, so blues and stripers were also targeting 2-4 inch flies.

Arnie, At noon they were chasing the large bunker toward the harbor from the west. When I was able to get back there the only obvious schools of bunker were inside the harbor. I was trolling and blind casting a floating chug bug popper. It's silver blue mylar coated with a rattle inside. The mylar does not last long. All fish I caught were outside west of harbor, the only reason I went inside was to get some bunker to drift achunk for some big fish. I also hear of LARGE BASS at night on chunks as well. Dave

I've found that lures tend to be more effective when the bait has disappated. It really does vary however.

Glad to hear that the fish are active up that way.