Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
saltyh2ofly

Electrics Motor mount...

6 posts in this topic

In an effort to research this subject to death for TJ I found this site www.LightPerformanceWorks.com . You can mount the electic motor to the rudder and retract when you wnat it out of the way. Just another option for thoes that would like power. As soon as the warm weather (or should I say "when the water warms up") I'll be able to get out and do a test drive on a yak. This site has been a good inspiration and helpful in narrowing down my choices. FnD by Cobra suggested by JonS and others will be first on the my list to try.

Interesting. Salty, why so much interest in power. Kayaks are very energy efficient and to do a few miles even on a wide kayak isn't difficult. Or are you just looking at everything?

One good/easy thing about a FnD is that it has an accessory motor mount so an ordinary electric fishing motor and batter can be used. It keeps it simple and when you don't want or need the motor its not permanently attached.

Motors are a passing fancy as I'm asking for a friend. I don't mind the workout one bit and it seems like the exercise will do me good. I'm just passing things on incase someone is looking. After reading all the posts and threads it will be an Cobra FnD or Explorer. When I get my funds together I'm going on to the next step....a try on.

JonS: I usually fish Raritan Bay, Sandy Hook, Barnaget Bay, Long Island Sound and other bay systems. I take vacations on MV in the fall and sometimes in the sping, so a kayak would be a great addition to getting to some places. I am a shore fisherman, sold my boat because I like the sand under my feet. But this kayak thing looks like a great way to hit different beaches, sight fish in shallow water and hit fish just too far out of reach for fly. That's why most of my questions in the past have centered around standing for better viz and in and out access. The stealth thing is a plus as I have seen bass with there noes right up against the shore so that means if a person is coming up to the shoreline and gets two steps near the water the fish are gone! My friends and I usually take our first cast from the beach just in case(in the ocean we get a little closer because of the wave action). I'll PM you with a more private message as not to get you into hot water with the board mod.

Salty, you're gonna love having a kayak. I fish the same waters plus a bunch of freshwater places. There are too many good places to fish to list. Very close to you are some very interesting fisheries that are very difficult to fish from shore but the kayak makes it easy. The Hackensack is a major sleeper and loaded with bass. I was there in November and thousands of stripers were feeding on the outgoing. I only caught a couple but they're there. One gent has been doing very well at the bridge pilings using a fly rod on fish to 20#s.