Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MtnBrz1

Thule Hull-a-port and Tarpon 160 ...

8 posts in this topic

I picked up my Tarpon 160 last night!

I have a Subaru' Outback wagon that I put a THULE cross bars and Hull-a-port on to bring my new "toy" home.

However, when I got the yak' on the rack and "stood it up"... WOW! It just took over the car!

I used the straps that came with the rack, in addition to bow and stern lines and it was secure. Just not sure if that rack is the best for me. Maybe I should switch to THULE's Set-to-Go Saddle???

Comments please...

Tight Lines,

Rob

I purchased the Hull-A-Port too for holding a CoBra FND on top of an Explorer. I wound up just placing the kayak deck down on the Thule bars because of potential road clearance concerns. Merrit Parkway in CT has bridges rated at 10 feet I'd be pushing clearance. Also, lifting a FND by myself and placing into the Hull-A-Port is not something I can even imagine.

A roller system might be easier for you to use.

I thought the J bars might be easier for lifting a Tarpon onto a sedan but went with H2go saddles. Cars can handle a yak or 2... or 3 but use the stem tiedowns. I have heard of a really wide yak on edge blowing off with the racks in heavy cross winds. Only once though.

Thanks fellers'.

Here are a couple pics of the yak' on da' car. Just not sure I'm comfortable with it way up there like that. Although it stayed firm for the hr drive home.

yak_1.jpg

yak_2.jpg

I have a Toyota Pick-up with a cap on the back. I use the foam block setup with my FnD and two straps that go over the kayak twice. The kayak sits on blocks keel down and it never moves. The foam acts like a spring pushing up to keep the kayak secure. I travel to the Cape via Merrit Pkwy and never have a problems with the bridges. There are as many ways to carry the kayak as there are cars/trucks and kayaks. Start with something simple and keep an eye out for someone that has worked thur the problems.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

I don't like the look of that at all!

For a smaller whitewater boat I think it's OK but these longer boats are handling some decent wind.air flow and I would just not trust that setup.I don't like the idea of the boat sitting on edge like that.

My own setup is rollers on the rear and a pair of saddles up front.Makes loading and unloading very easy.

The racks seem awfully close together!

Perhaps that is just the way the Outbacks are set up.............

Nice yak.

If you aren't comfortable exchange J's for saddles. Foam blocks are great if you can get a decent spread between the bars. I had a Legacy wagon and put the front bar a lot more forward than they specified, carried up to 3 canoes with no grief.