Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savfish

Anyone fishing OBX???

8 posts in this topic

The ocean from Nags Head north has been pretty flat over the last week here on the OBX. I am starting to see more kayaks on the water and was wondering if anyone from the board has been out. I've been out plenty but only from the surf (still no kayak). There have been lots of fish around and the kayakers/small boaters have been doing much better that the surfcasters.

I was out up in Corolla on Saturday -- had started in KDH and gradually worked my way North to Corolla -- there were schooled fish around roughly betweem 100 and 300 yards out (although they were not terribly thick where I was) -- I had no luck, but this was my maiden cold-water yak voyage wink.gif so I was kind of conservative (as opposed to being aggressive) on this particular outing. I plan to go back to NC this weekend and give it a try again (I have Monday off smile.gif).

I'm planning on coming down from Baltimore this weekend, but I haven't completely decided to bring the yak along. I'll be fishing (primarily) Hatteras Island with a yak-less friend and I'm a bit hesitant with the current cold water and air temps.

If somebody wants to hook up this weekend, I could be talked into bringing the boat along.

Chris

The water temps along the northern beaches have been around 50 w/ air temps in the mid 50's, probably 60 today. I talked to a few of the kayakers and they have been comfortable while wearing wetsuits. There have been a few guys surfing also. Just watch for sudden wind shifts out of the west - it might take a while to get back.

Guys, the sound striper season opens again tomorrow. I'd try around Manns Harbor bridge. Last time I fished the bridge in my yak, I caught over a 100 stripers. Got my largest from my yak that day 30 in., it was also my largest sound striper ever.

MikeC

I'm definitely going down this weekend. Just set my plans in stone. Antbody else with a yak going to be in the area. I'll bring mine, but only if I have a partner to paddle with.

Chris