Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim DE

My Sea Dart has "wings"

3 posts in this topic

"Sea Wings" that is! I just finished the installation process of the Sea Wings to the Heritage Sea Dart. It was a snap and the installation instructions were very well written and excellent diagrams.

It looks like they were made for the Sea Dart. The placement of the lashing hooks were in ideal positions for the mounting. Inflated they do not appear to be too large for my current paddle (I will see when I water test this set-up). I set the centerline right on the moulded edge of the hull and when deflated they can be folded lengthwise and sit above the waterline. The only drag I see in a deflated condition will be from the connecting straps (which there are 2 one inch nylon straps) which connect the two sponsons from under the hull.

I know these are not for everyone nor do kayaks like Cobra's or OK's need them but, for those who have touring kayaks with good speed and less stability this seems to be a way to have your cake and eat it too. No need to trade off speed for stability. My plan is to paddle to my fishing areas with the sponsons deflated. When I start fishing I will inflate both sponsons in preparation for a sleigh ride (take's about 10 puffs for each sponson to inflate and it is easy to do from your seat). Trolling I will keep them inflated and in very rough conditions. The a twist of the 2 valves and they both deflate for the paddle back.

Weather permitting I will have it out on the Flats tomorrow afternoon for the maiden voyage with the "Sea Wings". You can see these on www.sponsonguy.com

Jim,

please post your opinion on the Sea Wings. I was checking them out about a year ago when I was looking at fishing from a Kahuna but didn't feel it was stable enough.

thanks

raregroove