Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DCVER

Surf to Summit seat question

9 posts in this topic

I was thinking of using the rodholders for flyrods by making a slit in the material and making a corresponding cut in the plastic tube to accomodate the reel. You think this is crazy????

DCVR - before I did that I'd take a piece of pvc and make a fly rod hold and than attach it via some method to either the back of the seat or the hull. The other option is to mount a Scotty fly rod holder to the hull just behind the seat. I have the Scottys.

if the material that holds the rodholder isn't properly sewed around where you make your cuts it will fray and keep getting smaller and smaller. It would be better to make an insert with the cut for the fly rod into the rodholder, almost like an extension piece, to hold your rodholder when not using it for fishing or buy a Scotty's Fly rod holder. They make the insertable piece into flushmount rodholders for fly rod at Bass Pro Shops. I think it would be a little to big for the Surf to Summit seat holder but it would give you an idea on what i'm talking about. I would not cut into the Surf to Summit Seat rod holders. Make the extension out of PVC pipe and it should work fine.

JonS,

The Scotty you put on for me works great w/one exception.

The male end appears to be notched in such a way that it can only be inserted in one position.

That position puts my fly reel butt up against my left leg, making it awkward getting the rod in & out.

I usually opt for the rubber clips on the outside hull.

This could be a problem now that I'm going to be using both fly $ spin gear.

Again, I may be at fault.

Do they usually mount in only 1 position?

DASBOOT

DAS - the holder is infinitely adjustable (actually I think that it has 16 settings). Just lift it up part way and turn. If you can't figure it out I'll show you Sunday.

Skywalker - they come with a standard mount. Scotty also has, I believe, 2 other mounts which you can get. The one that comes with it is the most widely used and versatile.

joev - the seat retails for $120 but I don't charge that. I have them in stock. Its the only seat I stock because its such a good seat. I'm not sure what you are referring to by a mounting kit. It attaches to deck loops which I do stock. We need to look at your kayak when we hook up next and take it from there to see if the seat will work with your kayak.

Jon I got this from another Pungo guy

JoeV,

It takes a little bit of McGyvering to get it in there, but it ain't all that bad.

And yes, you can troll from the rod holders. They have velcro straps on them that snug the rods into place and help keep them from being pulled put. They were originally designed to keep rods in place for while wet launching in the surf, but they work for trolling too.

If you order one, be sure and get the "Fit Kit", as this seat was originally designed to fit an Ocean Kayak SOT and you need it to fit it into any other yak.

Fit kit is what I was refering to

joev