Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frick

Yaks Save the Weekend!

4 posts in this topic

Three of us and our kayaks went up to Westerly, RI, this past weekend, thinking maybe we'd just cast from shore but hey let's bring the boats anyway. Thursday night we caught fish at the very end of Weekapaug Breachway but over the next few days, the fish became darn hard to find from shore. But not in the yaks! Once we put them in the water, mostly near Quonny, we were into fish every morning from false dawn until about 9am. We had a shot at the albies (didn't get one) and we paddled like hell into roaming schools of bass and blues. Fantastico! Then, our last night, we headed back into Quonny pond, where one of our members found big fish on the flats way back there. All in all, a trip made great by the weather, yes it was perfect, but mainly by our kayaks. Without them, it could have been dismal.

Good for you guys. I'm hoping that it turns on soon down here. Yesterday I went fishing but nothing happening. The winds were to strong to fish the ocean but the bay would have been fine if I saw any signs but I didn't.

Jon: What kind of yak are you using again? I have an Explorer, by Cobra, which worked fine. But out in the ocean, chasing fish, a couple of other guys were using longer, skinnier boats, like the Scupper Pro, and boy would they haul butt. Left me sucking their wake. I guess the trade off is stability, which being a klutz I am loath to give up. Still, it would be nice to move at real velocities.

Frick - I'm in an Explorer also and love it. No yak is perfect but I sure like the stability of the Explorer and it moves OK. A faster boat in the Cobra line which is very fast is the Tourer. A buddy of mine has one and I've used it a few times and its very fast. Its a little narrower than the Explorer and 4 feet longer.