Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seadogface

Got trolling tips

2 posts in this topic

I have found I don't know Jack about trolling

T&W

When trolling in 15 ft of water your depth finder registers a large 10 ft boulder directly underneath - a.) go over it holding course - potentially hanging up or at least fouling your rig with weed ? b.) hard o port \\ starboard - depending on current. Other options such as ?

c.) speed up ?

Highly erratic depths - boulder field pick average depth ? try and map the field in your head and take it deep ? vary speed ?

How do you work a bar from a kayak. Down current side parrall to bar ? over bar ?

Surface troll poppers wont pop on a troll but ever try it ? any good ? surface swimmers, Danny's ?

spots with good current ? hold to the side out of current and cast as you would from shore ? Take yak trough current on a troll ?

any advice, tips, tricks appreciated.

Trolling is like any other kind of fishing. You have to try it and figure out what works. I will troll over the boulder and let the lure hit the boulder. I don't use treble hooks when I troll over any rocky or seeweed bottoms. With braided line and a clicker on my reel, if I catch bottom, I can usually get it free. The bass are usually down low so troll low.

I will usually go over a bar instead of parallel to it. Bass sit and wait for free lunch.

Bucktails, TNW and Plastic baits work great, No umbrella rigs for me.

Good Luck and wear a PFD.

Doc