Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FrankC

Comments on Chesapeake Light Craft?

7 posts in this topic

I'm new to this forum, and a complete novice to kayaks. I live in the Chesapeake Bay area, and I'd like to get into fishing from a kayak in the river I live near.

I'm also interested in building my own boat, having built a sailing skiff and small workboat over the last two years.

With all of that said, has anyone had any experience with any of the CLC's boats? If so, can you make a recommendation on which model would be best for fishing?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FrankC

Frank - CLC boats are awesome! I built a Patuxent 17.5 (NLA - replaced by Pax 18) about 5 years ago. It's VERY FAST, has been very DURABLE, is much LIGHTER than plastic or fiberglass, and LOOKS a heck of alot better!!! I wouldn't recommend it for a novice paddler though, it's somewhat tippy. The Chespeake models are higher volume and should be pretty stable. You didn't mention where you intend to fish. For a complete novice, fishing in any enclosed sea kayak may prove to be intimidating at first, especially in rough waters. You might consider purchasing a plastic Sit On Top to get your feet wet, then take your time building the kit boat (you could always sell the SOT - there is a real demand for used kayaks).

The CLC crew was very helpful during the construction of my boat. Unless you've got a lot of spare time and a lot of patience I would recommend purchasing the precut kit rather than the the plans. It seems expensive, but if you add up all the materials plus labor it's a better deal.

Good luck!

Thanks, Coyote! I appreciate your experience and your input.

I took an hour off from work on Friday and stopped by CLC's showroom to take a look and talk to others more experienced than me. After talking with one of the reps there, I think I'm leaning towards the Chesapeake 17.

One other positive thing happened...I was telling the president of my company about my plan to buy/build a CLC boat. As it ends up, he's good friends with the new owner...it looks like I'm going to be able to get a discount, too. I'm pumped now...c'mon tax refund check!

Thanks again for your help. I'll post a pic of the new ride in a couple of months!

FrankC

Frank, Reread Coyotes response. He said the CLC boat was unstable and recomended You start out on a stable plastic S.O.T.. Dont take this advice lightly.

Barrell

Barrell, please do not use links in your signature - it's against policy here. You can read the User Agreement at the upper right hand side of every page. TimS

[This message has been edited by TimS (edited 12-21-2001).]

Barrell,

Coyote did not say that CLC boats are unstable, he said that the CLC Patuxent 17.5 is unstable (FYI, it's a very low volume greenland-style yak that's won LOTS of races over the years; it's a great boat for experienced paddlers).On the other hand, the Chesapeake series (like the 17 FrankC is considering and the 16LT my wife is building) have moderate initial stability and great secondary stability (a real "notch" when you get to the chine); they are great boats for beginners, with room to grow your skills, and they're fairly good for fishing from.

FrankC,

Having said all that, I must fess up... I too paddle a plastic SOT. I love CLC's boats (bought my wife the Chessie 16LT kit for x-mas) and recommend them highly - a North Bay (the current incarnation of the now defunct Patuxent 17.5) may be in my future, if I decide not to go wood-strip. SOT's are the way to go if, and I stress IF, you intend to use it primarily for fishing.

I too paddle and fish the Chesapeake Bay (I'm in B'more, GO RAVENS!) and would be glad to get together with you. Also, you're welcome to take my Necky Dolphin out for a spin if you like.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Porter (edited 01-30-2001).]

Thanks for the insight, Porter. I have to admit, when I saw Barrell's post, I was confused...I didn't think I was making a rash decision. Thanks for looking out for a beginner, Barrell, I appreciate it.

Porter, appreciate your offer of getting together...I'm sure when the weather gets better I'll take you up on it. How's the building process going for your wife's new Chesapeake? If there's any chance you need assistance, feel free to ask...I'll be happy to lend a hand. For me, the building part is as much fun as using the boat.

While I'm on the topic of building, if you happen to know any other builders that would be interested in taking on a project, I have a 30' skipjack that's framed and ready for planking. I've had to give up and resolve myself to selling her...work is just too demanding to dedicate the time to finishing her.

Feel free to email me...frank_cawley@hotmail.com. I'm looking forward to meeting you.

FrankC

Frank/Porter - "Moderate" initial stability in a sea kayak is down right tippy compared to a plastic SOT! Don't get me wrong, I love my CLC Pux. If you got alot of miles to cover I don't think you could find a better boat. But I agree with Barrell, an SOT makes a much better choice for fishing than an enclosed sea kayak, especially for a novice. I've been paddling for years and still choose an SOT for fishing.

Coyote